Search

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!

My boyfriend and I decided, very last minute, to go to to Australia. Having never been, I have been doing a lot of research, reading all of your very helpful posts and speaking with friends who have been.

For many reasons, over the past week we have had to change our itinerary multiple times and now, after reading some of the feedback on here, thinking that maybe I should change it again. What our current plan is:

We fly into Sydney from States at 6:25 am on April 12th

Then: 4 night cruise on Coral Princess out of Cairns

4 nights in Noosa (Primarily for Fraser Island tour)

4 nights in Sydney before departing (Blue Mountain day trip, etc.)

The only part that is confirmed is the flight to Cairns and the Coral Princess. After reading a lot of posts, I'm troubled that Noosa, but specifically Fraser Island is crazy at this time of year (tons of people, kids, etc) and also that Fraser Island has become a bit too touristy. I wanted to definitely do Fraser Island because my best friend for 20 years, who died a few years back did her study abroad in Australia about 12 years ago told me that this was her favorite place and that I had to go. I'm certain that if she knew that it had changed quite a bit and that conditions were not favorable she may say something different, so I'm relying on you to tell me what you really think. I'm not really concerned about availability as I have found several places to book. I originally debated doing Byron Bay and Noosa, but decided to do just one in order to not "over book" us. So, now I'm wondering if we should stick to this plan or do something entirely different... Byron Bay, Whitsundays, Melborne or maybe even something really crazy like the great ocean road and the 12 apostles. Also, we could possibly do two places if that is strongly recommended. We are both in our early/mid thirties, enjoy just about anything, do like peace and quiet, prefer not to do group tours, but will if that is the best way to do something. We both dive, but this does not have to be the focus of the trip, as we will do at least some diving on the GBR Coral Princess tour. Cost is not a deciding factor in anything that we do (of course, within reason;-) ). I have been thinking about doing the Whitsundays as this is another place that she loved, but I'm wondering if between the cruise and that if we are too "water" focused... Not that this is bad, but are we not seeing much that makes Australia, Australia.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Please give me your thoughts on this or anything else that I may have overlooked!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM

You don't say where the Coral Princess goes on that 4 night cruise which makes it hard to suggest things for you because I don't know where the ship will be after the cruise. Personally I would be staying around the GBR and seeing things ALL Australian but that does not help if you are in Darwin or Brisbane 4 days later..................more information please
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Oh!

The cruise leaves from Cairns, goes to Cooktown, Lizard Island, Ribbon Reefs, returns to Cairns.

I hope that helps!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Then there is your answer - spend time around the Cairns/Daintree area and enjoy the rainforests - the unique birds, the animals, the aboriginal culture, going out to the Lava Tubes or taking the Savannalander train. So much to see and do on land there which is very Australian. Then fly to Sydney and spend the 4 days there. You will have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! Thank you so much for your feedback. I definitely think we will add on some time to do that in Cairns... Do you feel that I am right to be hesitant of Fraser Island, or do you think that I should try and fit that in? I'm having a hard time letting go of it, but it does sound like I probably should...
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Also, should we rent a car in Cairns?
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM

Yes rent a car in Cairns - probably better to check the various car rental places as there are a lot of them. Then you will be able to do your own tours and trips and see a lot more than you otherwise would.
The thing about Fraser Island is that there is only one accommodation place and the rest of the island has campers on it. Lots of people go there for fishing and just vegging out and unless you are going to spend time at the lodge there is little else for an International visitor to do once you have seen the lakes and taken a tour over the sand dunes. Its a great holiday destination for families who want to camp and for people who like driving other people crazy driving around on the sand dunes. Its a natural sand island and although a beautiful place there are no shops, restaurants, you cannot swim in the sea as there are dangerous rips and sharks etc and no lifesavers and there is no transport other than when you have taken a tour.
Friends of mine from Atlanta went there and were disappointed in it as the weather was not nice and that messed everything up.
In comparison then ....... Fraser Island is as above whereupon say the GBR, Daintree, Atherton Tablelands has a lot more interesting things to see and do then of course there is the flora and fauna and finally the accessibility.
You will find there is a lot to see and do in Sydney as well and then for something different there is the Blue Mountains region to visit or Canberra - our Capital, so you will not be short of things to keep you busy. Far too many people try and do far too much when they have a short time and its often better to have quality than quantity.