Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

I need to get to the glaciers!: how to get from Christchurch to Fox?

Old Mar 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided to leave my companions who are heading to Oamaru to see penguins and instead go from Christchurch airport to Fox Glacier myself for 48 hrs and rejoin them in Wanaka.

I arrive in Christchurch on a flight in from Auckland at about 8am. This means I will have just missed the Tranzalpine train that goes across to Greymouth with a bus connection to Fox.

I can either
i) change my flight (am coming from Cairns Australia and for some reason the flight reoutes vi Auckland over night) and reroute the flight so I arrive in time to catch the train. I will forfeit my plane ticket and need to purchase a new one. But then I will arrive in Fox w/o transport. And that means I am not sure how Id get from Fox back to Wanaka 48 hrs later.
OR
ii) hire car from C'Church airport and drive across to Fox (poss in one day?) or else overnight in Hokatika, and go on to Fox the next morning. Then spend day ice walking etc. Overnight in Fox/Franz Joseph and then drive across to Wanaka where I will meet my friends (for one night before we had down to Te Anau). But I am not sure where the nearest car drop off might be to Wanaka - is it Queenstown? Id need to reroute to drop the car off and ask my friends to pick me up en route down to Te Anau.

OR
c) fly to Hokatika and drive from there to Fox? Again, flight times do not really connect so well. Id have to rush to catch the flight from Christchurch.

Does anyone know of any other way to get from C'church to Fox in one day?

I am so keen to see the glaciers and dont mind driving on my own for a day, if I then have a day to see them and a 2nd night.
I just dont want to be over tired on arrival, as I know the roads are narrow.
ANY help would be appreciated!
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
What time would you arrive in Christchurch if you changed your ticket? You'd still need time to clear immigration and quarantine, collect your bags, and get to the train depot in time for the 8 am train.

Here are a few options:

Option 1)

Assuming you get some sleep on the plane, pick up a rental car at the airport and drive - it's a 418 km drive, about six hours, and can be done in a day, especially as you'll be getting an early start. Spend two nights at the glaciers (which will give you one full day to explore) then drive to Wanaka and meet up with your friends, 264 km, about four hours or so, longer with stops.

If you can't find a car rental company that will let you drop off in Wanaka, keep the car until the next day, have your friends meet you at the car rental drop off in QT (probably the airport) and then continue on to Te Anau.

Option 2)

If you'd rather not drive to the glaciers after your overnight flight, you might look into taking a bus from Christchurch to Greymouth, then renting a car in Greymouth and driving to the glaciers. This will save you driving much on your day of arrival (less than three hours).

Alternatively, you could spend a night in Greymouth, collect your car the following day and head to the glaciers. This would prevent you driving after your overnight flight, but it would also mean a night in Greymouth, which isn't the best use of your limited time.

Option 3)

Take the bus all the way to Fox, spend a couple of nights, and then take the bus to Wanaka. Drawback, this option will take time and you'll be at the mercy of the bus schedules.

Bus companies can be found here:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/--s...oach-services/
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM

You will probably have to drive. The bus is going to take you virtually all day to get there from Chch, departing even earlier than the train.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input....in the end I realised bus would take too long, so I am flying to Hokitika (my only concern is that there is only 30 mins btwn arriving on air new zealand in C'church and then take off to Hokatikia - contacted Air NZ and it seems doable, as its also the connection they provide if booking straight through....) My back up is to ask to be put ont he afternoon flight to Hokitika and then hire a car on the spot, if I have to....

then bus Hokitika-Fox - arrive at 5pm
Staying at Misty Peaks Hotel
(no, not Twin Peaks!! Nice hot cup of coffee....ha ha)

one day glacier walking with Fox Guides.
next day, bus at 8.45 to Wanaka, arriving at 2pm.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

ps, I actually will have spent the night in Auckland beforehand, so the flight in the morning is just from Auckland to CChurch ie isa domestic one, so wld have already done immigration etc...