advice for our honeymoon june 04

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice for our honeymoon june 04

Hello,
We are planning our honeymoon in Australia in June 2004. So far, we have decided on a package that includes airfare LA to Sydney, 4 nights there, then airfare to Cains and 4 nights there, and then airfare back to LA. However, we want to make the trip longer than 8 days. So we are hoping someone can give us some advice first of all on what is the best way to spend our 4 days in Cains, and second, which GBR Island would be best for us to add to our trip. We want some romance and a really special time, but we are also budget-conscious. We have also read about those small cruises that go for 3-4 days from Cains to a bunch of GBR Islands, what do people think of these? Can anyone recommend the best cruise-line or company to take? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Boris
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:09 PM

If it was my trip, I'd spend it all in Queensland. The state of Queensland is huge, bigger than many countries, and offers an enormous variety of scenery and activities. The southern hemisphere winter is a good time to see it.

Sydney is a FABULOUS city, no question about it. But once you get down to Sydney's latitude, you're looking at iffy weather in June. If you're lucky, it could be nice, but by the same token it could not be nice. People don't understand my obsession with the weather. They say, "Golly, coming from Canada, you won't find Sydney's (or Melbourne's) winter cold." Well, they're wrong about that. And just because I do come from Canada, when I pay a lot of money to go to the other end of the world to have warm weather, well for crying out loud I want warm weather.

Well maybe that's just me. You know what you like, and you'll have to decide for yourself.

Anyway, returning to the topic of Queensland, it has beaches and coral reefs and tropical rainforests and an Outback and all sorts of interesting and beautiful things.

The Cairns area deserves an absolute minimum of 5 full days, IMO.

We did a 5 day sailing cruise off the Whitsunday Islands, and it was magical, but it wasn't cheap. I've heard about the cruises off the Cairns coast, but haven't gone on them, so cannot comment.

Next time I get over to Australia in general or Queensland in particular, I'm going to go to the Outback. I'm really sorry we didn't see the Undara Lava Tubes, and that's just the start of my wish list for Next Time In Queensland.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:07 AM

Hello Arikson - to get maximum enjoyment out of your reef trip why not do a scuba dive course, get your PADI certification and spend your time out of Cairns on diving on a liveaboard - Spirit of Freedom, Nimrod, Mike Ball, etc - they all have websites. They take you to places like Cod Hole, Ribbon Reefs - some of the world's best diving. Coral Princess trips to GBR are more luxurious and sedate, but you'll see so much more if you get down there under the water.

Agree with previous posting about Undara Lava Tubes - it's a must - you can take it as a day trip out of Cairns but it makes for a VERY long day - best to overnight there in either renovated railway carriages or permanent tents.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:18 AM

We took the Coral princess cruise from Townsville to Cairns. It was great. Only holds 40 people, we hade 20 aboard. I belive they also take a Cairns to Lizard Island 4 day cruise. We also stayed on Heron Island for a few days. It's very small, right on the reef. So small you walk around the isalnd in about 20 minutes. We had a great time there and would go back.
What ever you do, extend several more days in Queensland, there is so much to do.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. Here is one thing I found while continuing to research this trip: It's a yacht cruise called Reef Oddysey, its 3 days around the Whitsundays and here's the itinerary: SATURDAY: Depart Shute Harbour with a brief stopover at Hamilton Island. Cruise to Whitehaven Beach.
SUNDAY: Explore the coral chasms of Hook & Hardy Reefs located in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef. Spend the day snorkelling, scuba diving or coral viewing from one of our glass bottom boats. Overnight at Hardy Lagoon.
MONDAY: Return to the islands with a stopover at the beautiful Blue Pearl Bay on Hayman Island, then cruise through breathtaking Nara Inlet. Overnight at South Molle Island.
TUESDAY: An early morning rainforest hike before returning to Shute Harbour and Hamilton Island.

Does anyone have any comments about these places? Are they worth the money - about $2000 for both of us, 3 days, all meals and most activities incl.
Thanks again, we'll look forward to hearing from people!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM

The Reef Odyssey cruise sounds fantastic - this is a magic part of the world.

Make sure you get up to the more northern parts of the GBR as well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:47 PM

Why not start off your life together on top of the wonderful world of Oz by climbing Sydney's Harbour Bridge?
I didn't get a chance to do it, but next time - definitely!!!!!!!!!
Climbs are offered day or night, but the night climb would be incredible!
I think they charge $170 per person.
Check it out on your search engine by punching in Bridgeclimb - Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:16 PM

You can read my trip report from my June 03 Honeymoon by clicking on my name and reading the messages Part I, II and I think theres a III.

It can give you information specific to those places since we did Sydney, Cairns ( actually Port Douglas ) with 1 night in Cairns and ending on Lizard Island, which wasn't budget-conscience but the rest should be great tips for you.

Email me at dawn_grieco at vanguard.com if you'd like more tips!

You're gonna LOVE the trip!
Dawn
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Here's one for the budget conscious - you can take a 5 day trip to Thursday Island in Torres St out of Cairns as passenger on cargo ship MV Trinity Bay stopping at Horn Island, Thursday Island and Seisia (Aboriginal and Torres St Islander community) - in dry season there is a 4WD tour to tip of Cape York Peninsula. email [email protected] - URL www.seaswift.com.au
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Hi everyone-firstly this is for Pat-Thursday Island is not really that interesting-you cannot swim due to crocs, the place is run-down and you must walk everywhere i.e. didn't see any buses anywhere. We cruised up there in Jan 2003 on our way to Broome via Darwin.
For Arikson77-check out Daydream Island. Their rainforest rooms are about US150 per night inc bfast. Take some wine with you. transfers about AUD 40 pp on a great fast boat 20 mins from Airlie Beach. Check out virginblue.com for cheap airfares ex Sydney to Proserpine and poresorts.com. Stanby accom can be purchased at Airlie Beach. We are not honeymooners but Daydream provided us with some quality time and reminders of things we'd forgotten about each other - 5 days there would be magic. We had 3. Another perfect place is Cape Leveque in Kimberley area of WA - it is so unique and truly spectacular. The beach is fabulous, the resort is owned by indigenous aborigines and the four wheel drive trip or light plane (we took plane) is unforgettable. Cost ex Syd for 5 nights all up estimate about USD2500. June is best time to see Nth Australia. You stay in safari tents overlooking the beach. God took a lot of time and care to create Cape Leveque, I'm sure of it. Let me know if I can help further.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Lyndie - I did suggest this one for the budget conscious - I know Thursday Island is not a tourist dream but it does have its own grotty charm and history. The trip is more for the tropical waters experience rather than the destination- dolphins, marlin and yes, crocodiles in some parts. It's popular with Australians who want to see the tip of the Cape and I ran into an American the other day who found it fascinating.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Hi, The Whitsundays are marvellous but u don't need to spend anything like as much money (esp if u mean 1000 each USD not AUD.) Maybe u have already found the cheaper trips and have ruled them out as many are on small yachts. Anyway it's what I did a few years back and had a fantastic time. Only 12 on board with a crew of 2. lots of stops to snorkel; a visit to Whitehaven Beach and a morning at a resort on one of the islands (sorry - forget which one). My trip cost 230 AUD then (it was at the cheaper end of the bracket!). But there's a wide range of prices. I guess around 600-800 AUD each for a private double for a 3 day 2 night trip. www.prosail.com is one of the best known operators.

There are also trips u can take from Cairns that combine visiting the Daintree NP and inland areas including Undarra Lava tubes. kasbah.com is a good place to check out how much variety there is!!

Have a wonderful time.