Perth Hotel near Convention Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your favorite hotel near the Perth Convention Center? We'll be there about 6 nights as part of a larger trip. I'm reading mixed reviews about the Parmelia Hilton.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the Medina Grand - it's located on Mounts Bay Road, mere steps from the Convention Center. You just step out the front of the Medina, walk across the pavement, and presto, you're at the door of the Convention Center. They even share a car park. They're serviced apartments, so plenty of room to spread out and the units have kitchens if needed. I strongly suggest you ask for a room facing the convention center if you're a light sleeper as the side facing the road can be noisy. I spent six weeks at the Medina Grand while relocating and it worked out really well. Parking is expensive, but it's right next to the bus port and the Esplanade train station, so getting around without a car is a breeze. It's also only about a 10 minute walk down to the river where you can catch the ferry to South Perth or Fremantle.

The hotel has a nice cafe and pub, and it's a short walk to the Parmela Hilton which has a few nice bars and a restaurant (which I've not tried). The Medina is also at the doorstep of the CBD.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll explore that. What is the CBD?
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Central Business District
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Hmm. After doing more research, it seems like Perth is not the best place for better hotels/apartments. The Mount Bay apartments seemed like they might be nice. But the photos of the bedding made me itchy just looking at it.

I think I might go for a renovated room at the Hilton to be safe. I was inclined towards the Medina because of the laundry etc. But, reviews for it are lower than and the price is equivalent to the Hilton.

Any other thoughts?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Perth is full of serviced apartments...you might want to look at the Medina Executive Barrack, which is located in the CBD near Hay Street Mall...it's about a 15 minute walk from the Convention Center - the rooms are a wee bit nicer than at the Medina Grand, but personally, I find the location of the Medina Executive Barrack considerably less desirable.

Just an FYI - the apartments and hotels on Mounts Bay Road can be noisy and there are some parking issues if you have a car - parking is expensive - $25 a day last time I checked, so be sure to check before you book.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I, too, am concerned about the Medina Executive Barracks. Prices for the Hilton and Medina Grand are over $400 a night now. Not what I want to pay. I really would like to keep things under $275. Has anyone stayed at Moun Bays recently? It has great Trip Advisor ratings but...

Is the Sheraton a 20 minute walk from the Convention Center? Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM

$400 a night? Yikes!

Not familiar with Moun Bays...do you mean Mount Bay Waters?

http://www.accommodationnetwork.com....apartment.html

You might look into the Melbourne Hotel, City Gate, Mantra on Hay and Holiday Inn City Center- they're all within walking distance to the convention center.

You could check www.wotif.com too.

South Perth is an option too - you can reach the Barrack Street Jetty from South Perth via ferry in about 10 minutes and then it takes another 10 minutes to walk up to the convention center from the dock. This will only work if your accommodation is within walking distance to the jetty in South Perth though.

The Sheraton is three kilometers from the Convention Center.