Search

Oz Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oz Trip Report

I have been inspired by others trip reports and since I have found the posts here so useful, it is my turn to contribute! DH and I (30-somethings) went to Oz September 4-30, 2001 (yes, we were there on 9/11, see Melbourne, below).

Here are the flights we booked:
International on Qantas: round trip LA to Sydney via Auckland with an open jaw, departed out of Brisbane. We had frequent flyer miles for that one so we booked all of our domestic flights separately on Qantas (thankfully not on Ansett, we were there during the shutdown!).

Sydney (4 days/3 nights) - stayed at Park Hyatt (beautiful hotel!). Did walking tours around the Rocks, Royal Botanic Gardens and Darling Harbor, did the BridgeClimb (must do!), saw "Barber of Seville" at Sydney Opera House (should do), Sydney Harbor Cruise (but I like that one posters idea of taking the Manly ferry instead), and Taronga Zoo. Oh, and we saw John Goodman walking along the Circular Quay! Good eats: Gumnut Café, Aqua Luna.

Blue Mountains (2 days/nights) - Most people take a "day-tour" from Sydney to the Blue Mountains and I guess that is okay if you are limited on time but we really wanted to savor the area, which we are glad we did, it is so beautiful! We rented a car and drove up there and stayed two nights in Leura at Peppers Fairmont Resort (great!). We golfed at the Leura Golf Club (gorgeous!), hiked Wentworth Falls, drove Sublime Pt., Cliff Dr., and Echo Pt., went on the Katoomba Scenic Railway (cool!) and Scenic Skyway; saw Three Sisters (from a few spots). Drove back to Sydney; flew to Melbourne in the evening. Good eats: Conservation Hut (while hiking Wentworth).

Melbourne (3 nights/2 days) - Stayed at the Grand Hyatt. Arrived on 9/11/01, we stepped off the plane and a few hours later, well, you know. We went to bed without watching TV so we did not find out until the next morning when his friend called him with the news. We were going to go to Mornington Peninsula for the day but spent the first 1/2 of our first day in our hotel room, watching TV and mourning. Cheered up that afternoon at the Melbourne Zoo and Melbourne Museum (Science & Nature) and went to the Old Melbourne Gaol (jail) for the Night Performance (go see!). Did walking tour of city center, Carlton and Fitzroy. Good eats: Swiss Roesti Bar.

Great Ocean Road (2 nights/2.5 days) - Rented a car and drove from Melbourne to Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road. Stopped along the way at Lorne, Otway Nationall Park, Port Campbell National Park and the Twelve Apostles. Overnighted in Port Fairy (Gobles Mill House B&B - great). Spent a day wine tasting in Coonawarra (excellent!). Overnighted in Coonawarra (Chardonnay Lodge - nice). This was such a beautiful drive; the diversity of the geography was absolutely amazing. From the stunning coastline of Victoria, to the tropical rainforests, to the sheep filled pastures, to the vast vineyards, it was just gorgeous.

Adelaide (3 nights/2.5 days) - Stayed at (you guessed it) the Hyatt Regency (we had a lot of points!) Went to Mt. Lofty, Cleland Wildlife Park (held a Koala - one of the few places you can do so - they are heavier than you think and smell like Eucalyptus but so are sweet, and we played with/fed Kangaroos, Wallabies, Emus), and golfed. We have friends who live there so they took us for a day of wine tasting in the McLaren Vale region and to the Fleurieu Peninsula. Do not remember where we ate, but we ate Moreton Bay Bugs which are excellent (like a flat lobster but meatier and tastier!)

The Red Centre (3 nights/3 days) - This was one of our favorite parts of the trip! Flew to Alice Springs and stayed there one night (at the Vista Alice Springs). Golfed (at a top 10 desert course, very sandy!) and drove/hiked around the Western MacDonnells. We rented a 4x4 SUV and drove the Mereenie Loop (a rough red dirt road - quite an experience!) to Kings Canyon. Hiked for hours around Kings Canyon in the Watarrka National Park - spectacular! Stayed at the Kings Canyon Resort overnight. Drove to Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. Stayed the night at Ayers Rock Resort (Emu Walk Apts.). Hiked Ayers Rock and the Olgas. Awesome!!! This was an amazing journey, one that has inspired us to plan another trip to see the rest of the outback of Oz someday. Great eats: the upscale restaurant at Sails in the Desert.

Cairns (3 nights/2.5 days) - Flew from Ayers Rock to Cairns. Stayed at the Hilton. Did the Kuranda Experience: morning at Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, took the Skyrail Rain Forest Cableway (got off at both stops) to Kuranda (shopped and had lunch), took the Kuranda Scenic Railway back down. A great day. Went on an all day tour to Cape Tribulation and Daintree Rainforest (great sites but bus tour from hell; should have rented a car and drove ourselves! Live and learn.) Great shopping in Cairns (bought a beautiful didgeridoo, DH can play great!)

GBR (4 nights/days) - Flew from Cairns to Hamilton Island; a yacht picked us up and took us to Hayman Island where we stayed (in the Whitsunday group). Spectacular!!! What can I say about this place, it was a little slice of heaven on earth. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the Pool Building overlooking the pool and the beach and the other islands. Every day cockatoos graced our balcony, they were everywhere! We slept in, lounged around the pool and beach, played Croquet every day, hiked the entire island, walked what seemed like a mile out on the beach when it was low tide, and took a half-day snorkel trip to Bait Reef. The best was when we spent a day on Blue Pearl Bay Beach; a private boat brought us from the dock of the resort around to the other side of the island where only resort guests and a few other boat tours stopped by to snorkel (by the late afternoon we had the entire beach to ourselves). Room service prepared us a cooler with lunch and drinks and put together a bag with towels and snorkel gear for us also. They left a cell phone on the beach with a direct line back to the resort so we could order anything we wanted throughout the day (food/drinks, new snorkel gear, an early or late ride back, etc.) This was truly a relaxing, pampering, great topper to what was already a spectacular vacation in OZ!

We can not wait to go back and see Tasmania, The Top End, The Kimberly, Darwin, Perth and Western Australia. Maybe we will top that trip with a few days on another island in GBR!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:48 PM

That is a great report Stachi - and worth the wait! Hopefully a some of the posters on the Board at present will read it, as it answers a lot of the current questions - even though things might have changed a bit since 2001.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Glad you liked it, Prue! I didn't join Fodors online until recently while researching upcoming trips to Kauai and New Zealand, but I loved Oz so much and reading other's posts inspired me to create a trip report even though it was two years ago. Since I didn't list many restaurants there shouldn't be too much out of date - there is always that problem with restaurants and such - but Ayers Rock is Ayers Rock and always fantastic!
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:10 AM

I am planning to visit Adelaide from Melbourne. Is the driving long and tired? How long is the drive?

As for the hotels, is the room in Grand Hyatt Melbourne small? I saw this comment on this forum. And is the Hyatt Regency in Adelaide worth the money and is its location conveniently?

thx
Daisy
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 11:31 AM

Oh Stachi,
We were there a week or so after you......all the memories of this fabulous place have come flooding back Thank you.
We are back there again in December and Can't wait.
We bought 2 Didge's in Cairns thankfully the kids are happy with them placed on their bedroom walls now...lol

Thanks again

Muck
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Daisy,
I had to pull out my Aussie Atlas and do some calculations because I really didn't know offhand exactly how far everything was, but here it is in km and miles and how we did it:

Melbourne to Port Fairy (Warrnambool) is about 380 km or 235 miles. I think we left mid-morning (9 or 10) and it took us all day to drive it because we made a few stops (Lorne for early lunch, walkabout in Otway, the views at 12 Apostles), I think we got in around 5 or 6pm. You could obviously drive it quicker but this is where you want to make the stops.

The next day we drove straight through from Port Fairy via the inland route through Hamilton, Casterton, and Penola to Coonawarra (not coast scenic but beautiful farmland scenic, never seen so many sheep in my life!) which is about 220 km or 135 miles. I think it took 2-3 hours; we drove in the morning and spent the afternoon wine tasting at all the fanstastic wineries. If you would rather stick to the coast and skip the wineries you would go through Portland and up to Mt. Gambier which I hear are both very nice. You would probably spend the entire day driving with stops along the way for sightseeing, but I don't think you would want to go much further than Naracoorte in a full day.

The next day we drove straight through from Coonawara to Adelaide, again via an inland route through Naracoorte, Keith and Tailem Bend, about 375 km or 230 miles (maybe 4 hours or so). We spent our day in Adelaide, but if you wanted to drive a coastal scenic route, the Younghusband Peninsula is suppose to be quite beautiful and you would enter Adelaide from the Fleurieu Peninsula which is also pretty (lots of vineyards). You could make an all day drive/sightseeing trip out of it also.

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think it's long and tired, if you break it up with sighseeing. If you want to see a lot along the way it's a two or three day drive. If you just want to "get there" the atlas says is 731 km or 454 miles straight across, which is 7-8 hours driving time, which isn't really that bad by my standards.

As for the hotels, in Melbourne at the Grand Hyatt we had a standard room with a king bed and it wasn't a large room, but it was very nice. It wasn't cramped and uncomfortable at all, but not HUGE either. Moderate, I guess I'd say. In Adelaide, the Hyatt Regency is located in the perfect location, in downtown surrounded by the Park Lands and right on the river. It's within walking distance to a number of sights and restaurants. We didn't pay for either (we used Hyatt Gold Passport points) so I can't judge if they are worth the money or not. Tell me what they are asking for a room and I'll tell you if I think it's worth it...

Muck,
That's too funny about the Didge's - we bought a cheap bamboo one which promptly split when we got home from the dryness where we live and so we cut it in half and are displaying the two halves on the wall. Our "good one" (made out of real termite chewed high grade wood) is on a stand in our living room - DH plays it occasionally and thank goodness the dogs never took a liking to its taste!

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Hi Stachi,

Thanks so much for your info and having u to pull out the atlas to do such calculations. After reading yours, now I am more confident in planning a 2.5D/2N driving from Melbourne to Adelaide. We probably would lunch at Lorne too (I heard people say it!|s a very nice town), stay overnight at Port Fairy. On 2nd day, drive either the inland route or coastal route to Adelaide. Here may I have your further comments:

1.People comment that Mt. Gambier is a nice place, and suggest me staying overnight at Robe (a coastal town). So, how would you compare the inland route with coastal route from Port Fairy to Adelaide? Why have you chosen to take the inland one?

2. Which rental co. you rented a car from in Melbourne. I searched that Avis has rental office right at Grand Hyatt, since we probably would stay at Sofitel, I thought that it may be convenience to pick up a car from Avis. But I found that the online Hertz rates are better than online Avis rates, and the Hertz has office on Frankton road Central Melbourne. What would u suggest? Are there differences between online rates and on the spot rates? Does the pick up location matter (perhaps the location in Central Melbourne is not too far away that would become a problem to me)?

3. The rates for Hyatt Regency offered by www.wotif.com is AUD200. I have searched an online rates of AUD 139 for Hilton Adelaide near Victoria Square. What do u think? Is the road from Victoria Square / Hilton walkable to the downtown area?

4. Is a car necessary in Adelaide if we are planning to stay there 2.5D/2N? We probably would visit Baroosa Valley. Where!|s McLaren Vale region btw?

Thanks so much for your further help.

Daisy
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Daisy, if you intend visiting the Barossa Valley I'd recommend renting a car for the day - unless you plan to sample a lot of the local wines, which might make a tour bus a safer option (never saw the point in tasting the stuff and spitting it out, myself). You could head north out of Adelaide (via Gawler) and once in the valley work your way south, returning to the city via the pleasant little towns of the Adelaide Hills and the Southeastern Freeway/Glen Osmond Road. The McLaren Vale area is south of Adelaide - also a nice wine area, but how many wineries can you handle in 2 days? A stroll around the North Terrace area - the botanical gardens, art gallery, Festival Centre - and across the river to a cafe or restaurant in North Adelaide is a good way to work up an appetite. You could also take the city's one surviving tramway to the beach at Glenelg, SW of the CBD. www.tourism.sa.gov.au and www.barossa-region.org should get you started.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Daisy,
In answer to your questions:
1) We chose the inland route strictly because we wanted to get to the vineyards in Coonawara quickly so we could spend our day wine tasting there. We could have taken the coastal route from Port Fairy to Coonawara via Mt. Gambier but then we would have spent the entire day sightseeing along the way and wouldn't have had time for wine tasting in Coonawara. Since you are planning on wine tasting in Adelaide you might as well spend the day doing the coastal/Mt. Gambier route and stay in Robe, I have also heard it is very nice.
2) In Melbourne we rented from Budget on Elizabeth St., which was a few blocks from the Hyatt (plus another 1.5 blocks from the Sofitel) - we either walked or taxied there, I don't remember. I think at the time they must have had the best rate and that was why we chose them. I booked online and never booked any cars when we were there so I can't compare spot rates. Nor do I know if there is any difference between different locations within the Melbourne area.
3) The Hilton, and Victoria Square, is right smack in the center of the downtown area so it is a great location, you can walk everywhere. The Hiltons that I have stayed at were quite nice so I say save your money and stay there.
4) Neil covered this question pretty well and I agree. Rent a car unless you can find a good winery tour, especially if you plan on drinking a lot. You also might want to go to Cleland Wildlife Park and I don't know how you'd get there if you didn't have a car. Plus the Fleurieu Peninsula/Victor Harbor area requires a car.
I hope this helps and I've answered all your questions! I'll check back later to see if you have more...
Sheri
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Hi Stachi and Neil_OZ:

About Adelaide:
I probably would hire continue the hiring from Melbourne to Adelaide. About places to visit, have u ever heard of Penfolds Magill Winery and Restaurant, which is in Magill. This winery co. operates another one in Baroosa valley. Is it worth going there besides other winery in Baroosay valley? Also, are there some particular winery in Baroosay Valley area that I must visit. Pls name them. thx

About Car HIring:
I have checked budget.com.au online rates and AUD200 one way rental was quoted. Have u got charged for this big money when renting in their Melbourne shop?
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi Daisy,
I didn't go to the vineyards in the Barossa area so I can't spcifically recommend any, other than to say that I am a HUGE fan of Penfold's and Wolf Blass, both of which have vineyards in Barossa, so you shouldn't miss those. If the Penfold's winery in Magill is suppose to be something really special then you might want to do that instead of the one in Barossa - you'll probably taste the same wines at both so I'd just pick one of them. If you change your mind and decide to go to the McLaren Vale area I can give you more insight.

I don't remember what we paid for our car rental. Is AUD200 just a one-way "fee" (in addition to the rental rate) or is that the actual rental rate? For how many days? If it is for 4 days or so then it sounds like a good rate.

By the way, where are you from?
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Hi Stachi:

I come from Hong Kong. The AUD200 is a surcharge in addition to the 4 days rental charges.

I have searched for somedays on the web, and found that hertz has the best price of AUD 312.8 for 5 days for a full size auto car, without one-way surcharge. Hertz said they won't charge any cancellation fee in case of no show. So I have made an online booking, and probably would shop for last minute deal if we have got enough time to do this.

As for winery tour, can u give further info on McLaren Vale, such as where it locates, how far it takes to drive from Adelaide, what sort of things to do there etc.

thx
Daisy
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Hi Stachi. Who did you go on the Daintree Rainforest Tour with? I'm trying to decide who to book with for my trip later this month and would love to hear your review.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Daisy,
I love Hong Kong! I was there on a trip to Singapore, Indonesia and HK in 2001 and had a great time. I love the Island and especially Aberdeen. What a surprise that side of the island was, so beautiful and such a contrast to the big city.

As for the car rental, I think you have a good deal. I went digging through some files and found that we paid AUD278 for a four-day rental and no one-way surcharge.

As for McLaren Vale, it is 35km south of Adelaide on the Fleurieu Peninsula; the town of Victor Harbor is a nice place to have lunch.
Check out this website:
http://www.wineaustralia.com.au/tour...info.cfm?id=37
Wineries I would recommend:
Fox Creek (they have a great sparkling Shiraz)
Chapel Hill
Hardy's Tintara Winery
Ingoldby & Andrew Garrett Wines
Rosemount Estate Vineyards
I would ask the locals when you get there what they recommend because I'm sure there are also other great ones.
Have fun!

Steve,
We used Australian Wilderness Safari and found it NOT to be as it was described in Fodor's Guide. I can't recommend them; you can read more about it on the post about "Tony's Tropical Tours" - I commented in depth there. Other people have plenty of good things to say about other companies on that post - good luck!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 02:29 AM

HI Stachi and STeve and Others:

Thanks Stachi so much for digging thru your files to check the car rates, from your info, I know the hertz deal is quite good.

I have to change my plan a bit. My husband and I need to shorten the stay in Adelaide from 2 days to 1.5 days and then fly to Sydney earlier, for some family reasons that we must make it at our best effort. So here my latest itinerary from melbourne to ADelaide, I need your help on planning what we must do in a shortened period of time, to optimise our trip:

Leaving Melbourne via Apollo Bay and stay at Port Fairy on sept 25

Leaving Port Fairy and drive via route 1) hamilton and stay in Coonawarra or via route 2) Mt Gambier and stay in Robe on Sept 26?

Leaving either Robe or Coonawarra and arrive in Adelaide on Sept 27 around noon / 1pm. Should we then go directly to Baroosa valley / Pengill Magill or visit McLaren Vale on the way to ADelaide (would it be on the way?) Stay in Hilton Adelaide on Sept 27

On sept 28 early morning, do the adelaide hills and around sightseeing or do another winery tasting, flying to sydney by around 5 or 6 pm.

Please let me have your few thoughts here.

many thanks
daisy

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Daisy,
I would stay the night in Coonawara and spend the afternoon of the 26th wine tasting there. On the 27th I would drive to Adelaide and do some sightseeing in the Adelaide Hills area on the way into the city (Hahndorf, Mt. Lofty, Cleland Wildlife Park). (Barossa and McLaren Vale are NOT on the way into the city from Coonawara or Robe). On the 28th I would do a little city sightseeing and go to the Barossa Valley for more wine tasting.
Have a great trip!