Search

Trip Report - winter travel Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - winter travel Australia

We're back from NSW and Queensland!

Air New Zealand is the most wonderful airline! The attentive service, EXCELLENT food and drink was exceptional.

Sydney, days 1-4: Yes, did the bridgewalk (at least 2), 2 up and 2 of us did south pylon. It was a windy and rainy day, but the outfitting was very good for those on the bridge. Those of us on the pylon just got wet! Taronga was a likewise stormy day, (the day the trees blew over in Sydney suburbs?) so the animals were subdued. It was a lovely sunny day at Darling Harbor, the kids did the aquarium, but were underwhelmed but couldn't say why. Eating out in Sydney was more expensive than expected, but probably in-line with big city prices. Food courts provided cheap eats and variety. The Marriott Harborside had a great location and a nice workout facility, but an indoor unheated pool. The best Aussie trinkets shop prices were right across from Circular Quay, which was a surprise. Tried a Rugby club, but it was a VERY big game night and we couldn't get anyone's attention. By the way, watching Rugby/football? was addictive.

Queensland: Spent 3 glorious nights in a treehouse in Silky Oaks, Mossman. The grounds and surrounds were very relaxing and lovely, although we were surprised that there weren't more birds making noise at dawn. A beautifully landscaped pool, and although it was warm enough to swim, it too was not heated and too cold to enter which was a disappointment. The breakfast buffet was very nice (included in tariff). The 4 course nightly dinner was about 8 on a scale of 10, but the presentations were a 9. Got a chance to sample Moreton Bay Bug, which must be a close cousin to lobster! mmmmm. Dining open air in the treetops overlooking the floodlit waterfall was magnificent.

The next 4 days were spent in Port Douglas in a lovely 3 bedroom apartment on Murphy St (the Hill) where one view was the low isles and one view was 4 mile beach. Walls opened, appliances were top notch. The Rainforest Wildlife park in Port Douglas was our chance to bond with the kangaroo's, and was a highlight of the trip, Hint: go at 8am, skip the breakfast with the birds and you get the park to yourself for at least 30 minutes. Our Australian Wilderness Experience was nicely laid out, walk in the rainforest, walk on Cape Trib beach, one lookout stop, cruise on the Daintree, lunch by a river, tea back at Silky Oaks. Highlights were meeting locals on the beach, joining in a volleyball game and talking with wild boar hunters taking a break. Just confirmed our opinion formed during our last trip to AUS in 1988, that the Australians are just delightful folk.

The barrier reef cruise reservation was made in error. In error because I did not follow the suggestions of this board and go with Wavelength. I stopped in their office, and the person at the desk was not terribly helpful and so I moved on to another outfitter who did not have the marine biologist focus, and I missed it. The trip day was very windy and both reefs visited were dull and very similar in character.

Our Queensland lodgings were spectacular, which really made the stay memorable. I can see, after being in Port Douglas, that as long as you're near Macrossan St, there are probably many fine accomodation locations. Only caught sunset at the Marina once, but it was lovely.

The weather was perfect, a bit windy for a couple of days, but temperature was fine. I can't imagine being on the beach and having to stay away from the water (summer stingers), so we were thrilled with that. Possibly one month later would see more wildlife activity as things came to life in the forest and such.

Guess we'll have to return again!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:05 AM

Good report kuzmagirl
Yep - there's a heap more to see - and more rugby to watch - or come for the cricket!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Thanks for a good trip report kuzmagirl. Was the tree damage you mentioned in Sydney widespread? Did it up root the flying foxes in the Botanical Garden?

AndrewDavid
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Hey Kuzmagirl,

Thanks for your report. We are headed for Australia next month, and planning to stay at Silky Oaks. Your report gave me more to look forward to. Many happy travels. T
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I am sorry you visited the Rugby Club on what was obviously a vital Test night most likely against the New Zealanders - any other time I am sure they would have welcomed you with open arms!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:06 PM

except tonight - time for REVENGE!
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Thanks for such an informative trip report. We're hoping to be in Oz later this year. A few questions. 1. Why did you stay in Pt. Douglas rather than Cairns for the GBR? 2. Where exactly did you stay in Pt. D? 3. If the Australian Wilderness Experience is a tour, where do we book it? Thanks much. Sarah
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 08:52 PM

And what sweet revenge it was!!!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Hello Sarah,

I can't say why Kuzmagirl stayed in Port Douglas versus Cairns, but I can tell you why I did.

First let me say I have not been to Cairns, other than to land at, and take off from, its airport, so I know about it only from hearsay.

At the time that we visited Far North Queensland, we were living in Melbourne, a city of 3.5 million. En route to FNQ, we visited Brisbane, a very pleasant city of 1.5 million. Since we were living in a large city, and our trip would include a visit to a fair sized city, we wanted the other part of our trip to be based in a small town where we would be within walking distance of the beach.

Cairns has a population of 150,000, and Port Douglas has a population of 4,000. That was the deciding factor for us. We enjoyed PD very much indeed, and are ever so glad we went there.

However, now that I have PD out of my system, so to speak, I have my eye on the cottage at Lilybank B&B in Cairns next time I'm in FNQ -- if Pat and Mike Woolford are still in the B&B business by the time I get to FNQ again!

Here's another discussion thread in which I tried to explain the differences amongst Cairns, Palm Cove and Port Douglas, which are the 3 most popular destinations in FNQ:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34523594

Hope that helps.