Search

Wat's the current fashion trend in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wat's the current fashion trend in Sydney

Hii...
Any tips on Ladies Fashion/Apparel (Day & Night) while in cosmopolitan Sydney during month of Oct 2003?

redgs
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:34 AM

In our August trip, we noticed the locals who work in downtown Sydney wear a lot of black and dress quite formally. The streets were full of black! That surprised us as we were expecting more of an LA casual Friday feel.

We wore fairly casual clothes almost everywhere, for comfort and because that's what we had in our suitcases. I wore black pants and various sweaters (some casual, some a bit dressier) to virtually everything from the zoo to the opera house. At the opera, by the way, there's a wide range of attire. Everything from black tie to blue jeans. Not too many blue jeans though.

We also noticed a British feel to the clothes. At a church wedding we walked by, most of the ladies were wearing fancy hats.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:45 AM

We were there in 1996 and noticed the same thing - lots of black! Especially among the people working in the city. We too were surprised, and I thought it might have changed in the last few years.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tip...
what about highcut leather boots?? Scarfs?? Are these suitable for the weather during Oct since winter already over??

Cheers
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Hi Milkmaid, for touring around you will be ok in whatever you are comfortable in, jeans and light jackets/sweater, t.shirts or blouses, light trousers, skirts etc. and comfy shoes. Australian's don't tend to dress up too much when they are playing tourists (different if you are working or going to a formal function/dinner). I wouldn't be seen in a pair of tracksuit pants and runners in the trendy spots but I have been known to wear them to the supermarket.

To go to dinner/theatre etc you will be fine in a pair of dressy trousers, heels and a nice top or jacket, dresses are nice too. Most restaurants are happy for you to turn up in nice jeans too, but for the more formal ones I wouldn't.

The young girls are into the midriff tops and low cut jeans and high heels (but it really only looks any good if you have a flat stomach, are very tall and are as brown as a berry. Cargo pants and 3/4 pants are big here at the moment too.

You may be too warm in high boots and scarves in October - it is only September and our temperatures over the next few days range from 27C to about 36C predicted next week and that is very hot (36 is around 100 farenheit).