N Qld in October

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N Qld in October

I plan to spend about a month in Queensland from mid October, starting at Cairns/PD, and making my way down to the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane area. Is this too late for a tour to the Cape York Peninsula? Are the box jellyfish on the beaches in N Qld by then? Any suggestions for inexpensive accommodation in the PD area for a single traveler who likes his comforts but doesn't want to stay in a luxury resort?
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:53 PM

October you should be fine for jellyfish. They are supposed to appear from November to May. Port Douglas beach will have a netted enclosure, anyway. Most of the accommodation in Port Douglas is new and high quality, there are also a couple of baclpacker hostels but not much in between. There are a couple of motels on the main road into town but they will be the best part of A$100 a night. How inexpensive are you looking for?
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, mpoll. A$100 is about what I was thinking of.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Mid-October will be past the peak season in Port Douglas so you should have no trouble finding accommodation. Maybe it would be best to just tiurn up and see waht is avaialable on standby. Try to get something close to the town. There are a lot of places on the road into town but make for a long walk to shops, etc.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Hi Heimdall,
October is a good time to visit Cape York,I operate 4wd camping or accommodated tours to this area,please see our websites <www4.tpg.com.au/users/ausavsup>
Port Douglas has some accom.for about $65.00 also Port O'Call is a good back packers and motel all in one,within walking distance to the centre of town.
Rgards, Lyle