Multi-city air passes in Australia?

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi-city air passes in Australia?

I had previously heard it was possible to get some type of a multi-city air ticket, as a US-> Australia package (Quantas, maybe?) . However, I can't seem to find anything about that on any airline websites. Have those deals/types of passes gone away? If not, how do I find them?

Or, is there a better way to purchase various domestic flights? Seems so complicated !Any tips?

Thanks,
dandc
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM

It's called the Qantas Aussie Airpass. You can find it on their website under "Specials".
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Virgin Blue has a "happy hour" noon - 1pm Australian Eastern Standard Time each day where you can often pick up a bargain. Suggest you join their email newsletters (free) for regular updates on specials. www.virginblue.com.au

Here's the Qantas link. Note: It's QANTAS (no "U")
They also have an email newsletter giving regular specials.
www.qantas.com.au
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 08:17 AM

We discovered that you can do it a lot cheaper by simply booking your round trip or open jaw main ticket then going to
http://travel.webjet.com.au which compares all the carriers within Australia, NZ and Tasmania. We got some flights as low as $59.00
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM

I also used webjet and got great deals, much cheaper than the quantas pass and you fly on quantas. And I had a very involved itinerary

mel-adelaide-hobart-cairns-sydney
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

phishers, do you mean book the roundtrip from US (ie, SFO -> SYD) and then book all the internal aussie trips from webjet? just checking...
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM

"Note: It's QANTAS (no "U")

Quite. To explain the apparent anomaly of a word starting with "Q" not followed by a "u", it's an acronym, standing for Qantas And Northern Territory Aerial Services.

Qantas began in outback Queensland in 1920 and is now arguably the oldest continuous-service international airline in the world. I say "arguably" because KLM, which held the distinction for a long time, has I recall merged with another, younger, carrier and may thus have technically disqualified itself.

What puzzles me is not that many people assume the "Quantas" spelling but that quite a few who've flown on the airline and thus have had numerous opportunities to see it written on their tickets, around the check-in desks and gate lounges, in-flight materials and on the aircraft themselves still come away mis-spelling it. That would seem to take some doing. Maybe they assume that Autralians can't spell?
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM

"Maybe they assume that Autralians can't spell?"

Hmm - maybe they're right. In my defence, my keyboard is acting up....

While I'm at it, though,

It's Sydney, not Sidney
It's Auckland, not Aukland
It's Cairns, not Carins
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 03:53 AM

We used frequent flyer miles for the US flights then webjet for all Australia flights.