Moderate Sydney Hotels

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Des

Moderate Sydney Hotels

we are travelling with two kids age 11 and 9 and would like a decent hotel in Sydney with a view of the bridge or opera house without breaking the bank?
Any sugestions
thanks

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Prue

Des,
I imagine Alan or Liz, with their funds of information will chime in on this question. If not, I would suggest you do a search of this forum as there has been a lot of discussion in the past on most of the Sydney hotels and I am sure you will it helpful.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Alan

Hi, Des!

Well, maybe Liz can help (as Prue suggested), but when you start talking about views of the Bridge or Opera House AND budget prices in the same breath, Alan is all at sea! My understanding is that if it has a view you are going to pay a king's ransom for the privilege of saying "ooh!" However, if a view is what you want and are prepared top pay for, you may as well have a great location too (some hotels with a view are perched in fairly inaccessible places, so the view is ALL they have going for them.) So my suggestion -- with no idea at all of how much it is going to cost -- is to contact Holiday Inn at the Rocks. This hotel is just down the road from the Russell, which I often recommend (though there isn't much view in a three-storey hotel, so I am not recommending it to you), among the historic buildings of the Rocks, three minutes' walk from the ferry wharves. It faces the Opera House and is very close to the entrance for walkers crossing the Bridge. I recommended it once before to someone wanting a great location, and they wrote back later saying it was just fine, and good value for money. Hope it works for you, too!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:00 AM
marty

Des--my husband and nephew just returned from our trip to Australia--I don't know what you consider budget prices--but we stayed at Quay West Suites in the Rocks--we're on the 18th floor in a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment with a fully equipped kitchen (supermarket is a few blocks away) and a great view of the bridge and opera house. Quay West also has a concierge, restaurant, pool and hot tub on the 25th floor, I believe. We got a good rate from one of the internet hotel sites--came out to between $200 to $250/nite (US)--Marty

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:41 PM
traveller

How cheap do you want to go? I stayed at the Y and it was fine. And really cheap.

Nothing fancy for sure (understatement) but tea making facilities, comfortable beds, comfortable washrooms, and well within walking room of the gardens, the opera house, circular quay, etc. In addition and a plus for me was, that many people from around Australia stay there when visiting Sydney so you get to meet lots of people from the country.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Alan

Hi, Des and everyone!
I wrote an earlier reply to this post saying that I couldn't think of any hotel with a view of the Bridge that could be described as "budget"...but I decided to do a bit of a foot-search this week, to try and prove myself wrong.... and just as I was about to give up, I came upon a hotel I never knew even existed. It's an O-L-D hotel on a hill at the very top of the Rocks, a bit past where most tourists go (but where ther are lots of old buildings, a quiet post office, and an historic old church)... it's not fancy, but I was instantly captivated at the sight of the marvellous old building with unobstructed views on two aspects... one way looks at the Bridge, but at the western side, and the other way looks straight up to Darling Harbour. As I walked in I prayed that the prices wouldn't be too upmarket for me to recommend to this forum.
Well, it's not rock-bottom, but it's not too bad, either. There are just 10 rooms, 6 of which are doubles and 4 containing one double and two single beds. There are a total of four bathrooms, no ensuites... this is, I know, a turn-off for some people, but the place is not well-advertised, so you might just get a floor to yourself. The price: $108 for the double rooms, $118 for the triple. I think that's worth recommending!
The name of this new "find" is the Palisade Hotel, and it's at 35 Bettington Street. Phone is 9247 2272. They have a website: www.palisadehotel.com... hopefully it will have a photo of the building to either entice or repel you.
I hope this is of help to somebody!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Rachel

Hi! I just finished my own search for a room with a view in Sydney. We're going in August, so prices might be higher at other times of the year.

It seems that you've really got to be able to spend about $185-$200 USD for the privilege. If you need to book ahead, www.accomline.com had some "good" deals. If you can chance it at the last minute, you might get a better deal on www.wotif.com ($165 or so USD).

The hotels that we considered staying at were the ANA Harbour Grand, the Four Seasons/Regent, the Intercontinental, and the Sir Stamford Circular Quay. Of them, we probably would have chosen the ANA. Ultimately, we decided that the deal available at the Holiday Inn Rocks was just too good to justify spending so much more for the view. The deal they had was $132.99 AUD! per night. We've requested a room with a harbour view, so we'll see if that works out. I know that they have a great view from the roof-top pool area.

Anyway, good luck. The Four Points Sheraton also has views, but of Darling Harbor, so not the bridge and opera house. Plus, it's a little further away from the major sites (especially with kids) than the hotels in the Rocks.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Liz

Ok, hopefully Alan can help here with the names of some of the hotels as I have a different idea. What about some of the hotels in North Sydney Alan - some of them have fantastic views of the harbour and although not in the Rocks area as such they are only one train stop away and at least some of their prices are very moderate and the views are particularly nice.
As Alan said you cannot say "harbour view and moderate in the same breath" its a bit like saying " I want to see a show on Broadway but I only have 5 bucks".
So which would you rather do? Change the hotel situation or the rating of the hotel? As Alan says there is a nice little hotel near Darling Harbour which may serve your purpose well.
Good Luck!!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Dani

I am a Sydney girl so will do my best to be objective. Firstly, try lastminute.com.au they have great specials at a lot of Sydney hotels. Apart from that, if you want views, while being not to $$$, that's near impossible.The Holiday Inn at the Rocks is probably the best option for more moderate pricing , however if you want all th bells and whistles, try finding a good deal at the Quay West suites, The Regent(which has just been revamped and renamed) can't think as what but a search of Regent will find it.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Alan

Hi, Rachel and Liz!
I think the price at the Holiday Inn at the Rocks which Rachel found is really very good, considering the location... I fear that at that price she will have a view of the building next door, but if she can swing a harbour view without paying any extra (and, after all, it is August, when the demand is not heavy) then she has scored a great bargain. Good luck, Rachel! I am glad you chose this option over the other suggestions of 165 or more US dollars (remember that's around $325 Australian dollars!) because I really think prices like that for a room in Sydney are just obscene. This is hotels taking advantage of the naivete of tourists. Twenty years ago when the Australian dollar was running at $US1.25, a price on parity with US dollars might have been understandable... but at present our dollar is worth US54c, and there are unpublicised hotels all over Sydney that will give you a room for under $AU100 a night....why be ripped off just because you're a tourist?
Liz, I will make a foot-search of the North Sydney hotels my very next day out... thank you for the suggestion. I know they exist, and some weeks ago on this forum I recommended an apartment there to a large family looking for two bedrooms and a kitchen (they didn't take it, but came to Sydney anyway, and I met them while here, and, I swear, the first thing they asked me is "How's Liz? Have you met her?") but I really don't know the hotels by name. I bet you're right.. for a pleasant ten-minute rail journey across the Bridge, there are big savings to be made!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:47 PM
john

Duxton Milsons point
Harbour view north sydney
rydges north sydney
kirribilli house kirribilli
even four seasons crows nest

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Liz

Thanks for checking the North Sydney hotels out Alan. I had a friend who worked over there and she always used to say that in terms of value and views there were none better.
Next time I get to Sydney I will make it a point to meet up with you Alan and if anyone is coming up to Queensland's south east corner then do let me know - love to meet new people.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Rachel

One North Sydney hotel that I recall looking at in deciding where to stay was the North Sydney Harbourview Hotel. I don't know how descriptive the name actually is, but their website has lots of photos of their rooms with a view. It's an apartment hotel and I think that they have 2 bedroom apartments with views of the harbor, which could be a plus with the children. Here's one link, although I thought that there was another, but cannot find it.
http://www.harbourviewhotel.com.au/

Also, about the cost of hotels in Sydney, it's the same here in New York City. The Manhattan hotels charge upwards of $200-$300 USD a night for something acceptable. If any of you are planning to travel to New York, priceline.com is really an excellent option for hotels here. While you don't get to pick the hotel itself, if you stick with 4 stars, you'll be fine and everything is so close together that a little walk/subway/taxi ride isn't going to impair your trip if you don't get the exact location you want. We've gotten nice places for less than $100 a night USD for when our families come to visit.

Sorry about that digression. We're looking forward to the Holiday Inn. Even if we don't get a room with a view of the harbor, we can always look from the roof until we get tired and then go to sleep . Plus, we're really excited that it'll only be about $70 usd a night for us.

Happy searching!

-Rachel

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Liz

Thanks to Rachael we now have the name of the hotel with the best view and I have just checked on their website and they do have packages which are quite attractive.
For those who don't know Sydney that well there are trains that run from North Sydney station into the city and other links every few minutes and there are also buses that cross as well. You would probably find that the Harbourview Hotel has better views of the Harbour than most other hotels and for New Years eve it would certainly be the best bet.
So if you are on a budget but want a view in a nice hotel this could be for you.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Alan

Just checked the Harbourview website myself (thanks, Rachel!) and it looks like it's worth following-up on foot. I still think $159 a double is a lot of money, but at least they do offer a full breakfast with this. Certainly the theory of staying across the Bridge and looking back to Sydney is a sound one.... if anything, the best views are at places like North Sydney and its neighbour, Kirribilli (that's where the Prime Minister lives).

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Elizabeth

We are going to Sydney next month and have read about the Hyatt, yet none of you mention it. Is there something you know that the guidebools don't?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Liz

The Hyatt down at The Rocks is in the absolute best situation right on the water and within walking distance of just about everything. We don't mention it much because its probably the most expensive hotel but most certainly worth it if you have the money. IF you go make sure to get a view room - you won't regret it.