Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What should I leave out of my New Zealand itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
trish

Hello there!<BR><BR>I am planning my dream trip to New Zealand, and with all of the amazing things NZ has to offer, I need your help to see if I should leave out some things, so that I may better enjoy my trip in 2 1/2 weeks. <BR><BR>Here are the places I would like to see, Which do you think I can leave out (if I should at all):<BR><BR>1) Auckland, 3 days<BR>2) Bay of Islands, 1 or 2 days (can we do this as a day trip from Auckland?)<BR>3) Fly to Christchurch, spend 2 or 3 days there<BR>4) Kaikoura, to swim with dolphins (can we just do this as a day trip from Christchurch?)<BR>5) Abel Tasman National Park (3 days)<BR>6) Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers (2 days)<BR>7) Queenstown (2 or 3 days)<BR>8) Fiordland Nat'l Park, Milford Sound (2 or 3 days)<BR><BR>Also, is there anything I am leaving out, and should put in, in place of something else?<BR><BR>Thank you SO much for your help!!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:48 PM
trish

just topping in the hopes of a reply... thanks!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Megs

Your itinerary sounds great, you are checking out the best NZ spots. However I would recommend you spend atleast 2-3 days in the Bay of Islands rather than just a day trip from Auckland, perhaps cut down your stay in Akl by a day to compensate. Check out www.fullers-bay-of-islands.co.nz, www.kerikeri.co.nz, www.paihia.co.nz and www.bay-of-islands.co.nz for some more info.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:55 PM
christa

Hi Trish,<BR>your trip sounds great.<BR><BR>I would stick to your proposed itinerary but spend only a couple of days in Auckland & Christchurch.<BR><BR>With the rest of your proposed route you seem to have given yourself enough time in each place to allow a bit of freedom to see and do a few fun things.<BR><BR>How are you travelling?<BR><BR>If renting a car you will certainly cover some of the South Islands most spectacular highlights.<BR><BR>Are you leaving from Auckland at the end of your trip ?<BR><BR>If so, you might consider this route...<BR><BR>Arrive Auckland.<BR>Drive to Wellington (highlights- rotorua, taupo, desert road, )<BR><BR>Ferry to picton...<BR>Drive Abel Tasman, Back to Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass to Fox Glacier, Queenstown, Milford Sound, back to Christchurh...<BR>Fly back to Auckland ?<BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Nikki

I'd probably recommend 2 days Auckland and 2 days Christchurch. But Queenstown does have more to see and do so 3 is fine. If you go to the Glaciers - make sure they have you booked at a motel within the village as they sometimes book you outside the village and you are basically stranded.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:39 PM
trish

Hi everyone!<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your help! Your suggestions are very helpful.<BR><BR>Two last questions - should I see the Coromandel Peninsula instead of the Bay of Islands?<BR><BR>And, are we missing out by not stopping in the wine country?<BR><BR>Thanks again! Trish

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Kerry

Hi Trish<BR>Pleased to see that your planning is well underway. I would like to make a few comments about your itinerary.<BR>1. The north island has far more to offer that a couple of days in Auckland.<BR><BR>2. Unless you fly to the Bay of islands, an day trip would be largely a waste of time. You basically need 2 nights/3 days to make it worthwhile. If you are pushed for time then take a trip from Auckland on the Hauraki Gulf to the islands of Waiheke & Mototapu. You can do that in your 3 days.<BR><BR>3. For people with limited time I always recommend a big loop south from Auckland through the Coromandels, to the Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taupo, Tongariro National Park and back up through Waitomo to Auckland. Or alternatively, and not my preferred option,drive south through the Coromandels, Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taupo, Tongariro National Park, and on to Wellington. Either route really needs 3 nights/4 days to do it justice.<BR><BR>4. Christchurch - 2 days is enough.<BR><BR>5. Kaikoura - you can do swiming with dolphins in a number of places in NZ other than here. And why a day trip? It is on your way north to Malbourough but do allow a day if you intend to go whale watching.<BR><BR>6. Unless you are into tramping and hiking rather than sightseeing I would cit back on the Abel Tasman Park and spend a day in round the wineries of Blenheim.<BR><BR>7. Your timing for Franz Josef of two days is OK and the same can be said for the Southern Lakes area.<BR><BR>8.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Kerry

Hi Trish<BR>Pleased to see that your planning is well underway. I would like to make a few comments about your itinerary.<BR>1. The north island has far more to offer that a couple of days in Auckland.<BR><BR>2. Unless you fly to the Bay of islands, an day trip would be largely a waste of time. You basically need 2 nights/3 days to make it worthwhile. If you are pushed for time then take a trip from Auckland on the Hauraki Gulf to the islands of Waiheke & Mototapu. You can do that in your 3 days.<BR><BR>3. For people with limited time I always recommend a big loop south from Auckland through the Coromandels, to the Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taupo, Tongariro National Park and back up through Waitomo to Auckland. Or alternatively, and not my preferred option,drive south through the Coromandels, Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taupo, Tongariro National Park, and on to Wellington. Either route really needs 3 nights/4 days to do it justice.<BR><BR>4. Christchurch - 2 days is enough.<BR><BR>5. Kaikoura - you can do swiming with dolphins in a number of places in NZ other than here. And why a day trip? It is on your way north to Malbourough but do allow a day if you intend to go whale watching.<BR><BR>6. Unless you are into tramping and hiking rather than sightseeing I would cit back on the Abel Tasman Park and spend a day in round the wineries of Blenheim.<BR><BR>7. Your timing for Franz Josef of two days is OK and the same can be said for the Southern Lakes area.<BR><BR>8. If you are flying out of Christchurch I would certainly take the inland route and spend a day at Mt. Cook.<BR><BR>Happy to help you with more detail.<BR>Kerry

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:10 PM
Trish

Hi Kerry -<BR><BR>I have been out of town and just want to say thank you for your help as well.<BR><BR>I am going to go through my guide books again, and will have more questions for you!<BR><BR>One I have now, is if there are any particular wineries you would suggest that we spend some time at?<BR><BR>Thank you again!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:54 PM
janet

Just as a possibility-we think the west coast of the south island makes a spectacular drive- there's a lovely windswept seal colony near Westport and the punakaiki rocks. Also the coastal road down from blenheim to kaikoura is great and the road through Arthur's pass is pretty good too.We thought Abel Tasman was tremendous.You can also visit some vineyards in the waipara valley on the way from Kaikoura to Christchurch( some of these spellings may not be correct! sorry native New Zealanders!)We live in Christchurch and I would only spend a couple of days here- for shopping and sight-seeing.Being from the u.k. for us New zealand is about mountains and beaches etc not cities.Also the trip through Moles worth Station is supposed to be an experience.Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Herb & Sharon

All the information in these posting is great. We are starting a four week trip to New Zealand on Sept.14--in and out of Auckland. No reservations or plans yet.We'd appreciate comments on a few starter questions:<BR>1) Can we go to most interesting places at that time of year without reservations? (By interesting we mean natural rather than cities.)<BR>2) Does renting a camper/van make it easier to get to out-of-the way places than renting in a car? Hunting for a motel can often kill a lot of time.<BR>3) I read someplace that many remote places where you can go in a camper have permanent tents or cabins that make it possible to sleep over without a camper.<BR>Thank you for any comments.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Mary

Dear Trish, Herb and Sharon,<BR>I have read the replies with great interest! I am a New Zealander and would like to suggest a South Island itinerary.If you are flying into Christchurch:<BR>Stay for 2 days(great cafes, art galleries, art centre etc.)<BR>Go on a day trip to Akaroa-a charming seaside town where you can swim with the dolphins,visit gorgeous private gardens (which is something you can do in Christchurch-the home of amazing gardens)Bus or car. 1 1/4 hours from Christchurch.<BR>go up north, along the stuynning Kaikoura coast-4-5 hours-see amazing seal colonies en route.<BR>Overnight in Blenheim, or one of the local wineries.<BR>On to Nelson and up to the Abel Tasman National Park.<BR>To the West Coast -another great trip to Franz Joseph and then to Queenstown,<BR>and back through the centre of the South Island (The Mckenzie Country) to Christchurch.<BR>If you are not flying into Ch.Ch. you could go by ferry from Wellington through the Marlborough Sounds.<BR>so much to see-you will just have to come and live here!<BR>Regards,<BR>Mary<BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Ellen

Hi Trish<BR><BR>We recently spent a week on the South island of NZ. We saw most of your itinerary there and might add a suggestion or two. If you are going to Mount Cook you might consider taking a helicopter tour of it and the Franz Josef/Fox glaciers. The helicopter tours do cover this. You would cut out a very, very long trip from Queenstown up to Franz Josef. You can do the same to get to Milford or Doubtful Sounds. The roads are narrow and windy and do take ever so long. That way you can spend extra time in Queenstown and enjoy all the little treats it has for you. In doing this you could effectively cut off 8 hours on one day and almost 7 or 8 hours on another day. Think about it!!!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Barbara

Auckland 1 day<BR>Coromandel 1 day<BR>Visit Rotorua on the way to stay in Taupo 2 days<BR>Hawkes Bay wine supreme 1 day<BR>Fly Wellington ferry to Picton <BR>Able tasman park 2 days<BR>West Coast-- glaciers 2 days<BR>Queenstown 2 days<BR>Milford sound 2 days<BR>Christchurch 1 day