hotel in sydney advice

Old May 4th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel in sydney advice

i am about to book our final night in sydney.

our choices using wotif.com are:

sebel pier one $200
quay west suites $230
holiday inn old sydney $219

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

amy
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Hi, amyw!

The Quay West is probably the nicest of the three, and if you're lucky you will get a great view, as it's one of the tallest buildings in the area. It's fairly close to Circular Quay and the Rocks, but there's a bit of a hill to climb every time you return to your hotel.

The sebel is in a rather strange position, away from the tourist areas, almost underneath the Harbour Bridge but looking away from the "main" harbour. It's only a few minutes' walk from everywhere, but the area itself is very quiet and almost lonely, and there is some major roadwork going on nearby at the moment. However, you can't get closer to the water than this!

The Holiday Inn is just a Holiday Inn, but, oh! that location! No view to speak of, as it's only about five storeys, but it's right in the Rocks (the best part of Sydney), almost opposite the Sydney Tourist Centre, and only four minutes' stroll from the ferries at Circular Quay. There are hardly any hotels better-positioned in Sydney than this one, and this may be a deciding factor if you only have one night to plan for and you don't want to spend even a minute of it finding your way to the places you want to see.

So, you see, there's no easy answer -- it's up to you to decide whether you will go for the view and pay for it with an uphill walk, or sacrifice the view and get the great location.
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:50 PM

We spent four days at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney in late April 2004.

Wow! What a place! Don't let the name fool you. They took an old warehouse, gutted it and replaced the center with an enormous atrium, with rooms lining the perimeter. It is an absolute stunner. The address is 55 George St., within walking distance of so many attractions and shopping.

But the location! Right in the heart of The Rocks -- only a couple hundred yards from Circular Quay. Up on the Inn's rooftop is a pool -- and what a view! Right across to the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge. It is magnificent.

And their huge, included breakfast is served on the first floor, right within the atrium.

In almost a month in Australia, we were overwhelmed with this place.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:02 AM

We stayed at the Quay West and lovedit.

It is a FABULOUS place! Spacious Living room and dining room, nice furniiture, stereo, vcr, etc. The washer and dryer in our romm. was next to the kitchen with its own separate room. We had the convenience of in suite washer/dryer while having it hidden in its own room.

Very large, exceptionally well furnished. Our suite had granite counters in the kitchen along with 2 fridges (one a mini bar, the other empty for your use).

Get a Harbour view. We had a view of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Even while in bed, we had a view of Harbour Bridge.

One of the highlights of our trip was eating dinner outside on our patio while havnig direct views of the Opera House and HArbour Bridge
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I haven't stayed at any of these, but I loved the location of the Holiday Inn. I know that it's probably nothing fabulous, but the location was wonderful. No matter where you stay, I know you'll have a great time!
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Hi AMy, the Sebel pier one has a great room, great bed, not great location, not great view. if i had it to do again i'd go one of the other 2 choices you mentioned. Have a GREAT TIME!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Holiday Inn Old Sydney, I'm thinking, must be the Old Sydney Park Royal, where I stayed in 1988. The description fits it perfectly. It is a very lovely hotel, and the location is really nice, right in the Rocks area. This would be a good choice.
Another place I like is on Darling Harbor. It is the Novotel. I've stayed there my last three trips to Sydney.
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Hi, amyw!
Which one did you decide on?
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:47 AM

I really liked Simpsons at Potts Point. It's a "boutique hotel" ... kind of an upscale B&B and more like staying with wealthy friends than staying at a high-rise downtown. I don't know if passing the URL is OK here, but if you google on Simpsons Potts Point you will find it. It's within your price range ... actually, a little below your price range. Worth every penny I paid to stay there.