COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Melbourne areas

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Melbourne areas

Hi:

I'm in my early twenties and looking to stay in Melbourne for a week. I'd like to be where the nightlife is. Would the central district or a funkier area like Fitzroy be better?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM

I think St. Kilda would be a good area for you to stay in. Lots of nightlife and its only about 10 mins into town for anything you would like to do there.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I agree with St Kilda, it's a great option. Consider too the Brunswick Street precint, it's 'funky' (as you said) and bohemian.
This is also located within a comfortable walk to Lygon Street Carlton a very popular eating precint.
Enjoy Melbourne.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM

Or South Yarra which is between St.Kilda and Fitzroy in terms of distance.Sth Yarra has very good shopping , bars , and some good hotels like The Como . St Kilda is a big backpackers area but has beach ,lots of bars in Fitzroy St and Acland St .Fitzroy is more alternative along Brunswick St , Gertrude and Smith Sts. And the CBD has wonderful quirky bars in odd places that might be hard to find for a stranger to town . Try the bars at Federation Square first .
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

What is the difference between the Fitzroy and St. Kilda suburbs? I was a little mixed up before between the two. I am going by myself and would like to stay in an area where I can meet more people.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:47 AM

St Kilda is more of the upperty part of town and fitzoy is more laid back.

Check out the Gin Palace in the CBD as its the best place in town for a G & T. Its also dammm hard to find so you will avoid the tourist traps.

I reckon you should stay in south bank [which is between St Kilda and Fitzroy.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Hi - without putting too much of a dampner on thing - as you are considering going to these places by yourself - are you a guy or girl? Just asking because wandering around these areas at night alone is really not a good idea - whether you're a girl OR a guy. Also in nightclubs you should be very wary of drink spiking (particularly if you're a girl). A lot of nightclubs won't let single guys in (they seem to instantly have a "Members Only" policy). Having said that all the areas suggested have excellent nightlife.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Hey, I lived in Melbourne for a while and I think St kilda is fun for action and it has a beach. Brunswick is very boho and great....loved it for shopping. I stayed more in the center at a very large backpackers and had the time of my life. I met some great people and loved being central. I then moved into an apartment in Sth Yarra and felt a bit removed from the fun. Have a great time. I was a girl alone and met so many great girlfriends and guys of course.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm a girl, which is why I was hoping to stay in an area where the clubs are so I wouldn't be wandering the streets by myself at night. Thanks for the advice!

question to emmalee_71: what was the name of the place you stayed at?