Looking for a hotel in Melbourne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a decent hotel with a good central location in Melbourne. Hopefully I can find something at around ASD$125 or less.

Here is what I found so far...

Best Western Atlantis - Spencer Street
The Victoria - Little Collins Street
Mercure Hotel - Spring Street
Hotel Grand Chancellor - Lonsdale street
Mercure Hotel Welcome - Little Bourke Street
The Crossley Hotel Mercure - Little Bourke Street
Hotel Ibis - Little Bourke Street (I know this is a budget joint)

I not sure about location but all of these seem to be central.

I don't have a lot of time to do a ton of reasearch so I appreciate the help and comments!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Richard.

$AUS125 per night is a budget price, so you'l be lucky to get great accom for less than that.

For research, try:

www.wotif.com.au
www.lastminute.com.au

They often have some great bargains, if you are content to not book accom until a couple of weeks before you are due to travel (this should not be a proble, unless you are coming to town during a really busy time (eg Melbourne Grand Prix; AFL Football Grand Final, etc)

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard, I haven't stayed at any of these hotels but I would avoid Spencer St, not a great area and there is a lot of construction work going on at Spencer St Station. You could try the Travelodge at Southbank, we got a good price through www.lastminute.com.au
The Travelodge is in a good position, on the opposite side of the river to the CBD but only 2 mins walk across one of the bridges. The Victoria is very central, good location, opposite the Westin. The Mercure on Spring St is opposite the Treasury Gardens where there are possums that come out at night and you can feed them apples. This is not the liveliest end of town but OK. Hope this helps a bit.
Kay
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Where is the center of the city?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:52 AM

If you go to the Fodor's Destination section, click on Australia, and click on Melbourne, you will find links to two maps of Melbourne.

The one called Melbourne Center zooms in on the city centre. I've always understood the Yarra River to define the southern boundary of the central business district (CBD). Victoria Street is its northern boundary. Spencer Street is its western boundary. I've usually thought of its eastern boundary as being somewhere around Parliament House and Spring Street.

As already has been noted, Southbank, the area immediately across the river from the CBD, also is very central, and to all intents and purposes would be equally convenient as a base.

If a person was going to be in Melbourne only for a day or two, I would encourage them to stay in the CBD or Southbank. However, I think you said you were going to be there for a week. If that is the case, I think you could cast your net a little wider, and it might help you to find a bigger selection of affordable lodgings. Melbourne has a good public transportation system.

East Melbourne is beyond the Treasury Gardens and Fitzroy Gardens from the Houses of Parliament. It's easily accessible to the CBD on foot, as well as by public transportation.

South Yarra, which is south of the Royal Botanic Gardens, is very accessible to the CBD.

Even the seaside neighbourhood of St. Kilda, which is south of South Yarra, is a quick tram ride to the CBD, and is a very pleasant area.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thats good info
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:49 AM
LN

We stayed in one of the Oakfords, I think it was the Towers and it was very convenient to Parliament and the city. Found a great rate on Wotif and it was basically a small one bedroom apartment.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The very centre of the city would be Bourke St Mall - the trams still run down the centre but it is closed to traffic. Swanston St is the other major street. In recent years Southbank has become a popular area for tourists to stay, it's on the edge of the city but only 2 min walk across a foot bridge to Elizabeth St which is the next street parallel to Swanston St.
Kay
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Hi there
We stayed at the Knightsbridge apartments in East Melbourne which is 15min walk through the beautiful fitzroy gardens into the CBD. The room was $100 aud. They were great rooms; ours was on the top floor with bath/shower & kitchenette/fridge. My Mum & Dad stayed at the Best Western Atlantis and that was good too but not sure on price.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM

I've stayed at the Victoria - which must be in the absolute centre of the city, behind the Town Hall.
It's certainly nothing flash at all - an old-style hotel, but a great location. Used by country people visiting the city. I'd have no qualms about staying there again, and had planned to, but our January trip was cancelled - it's an Australian hotel - perhaps a bit run down - but not that plastic look found in many. I reckon I'd see our mate Alan there, but I'd be hesitant to recommend it to an American visitor
If you're more comfortable with American-style hotels - go for one of the others.

More recently I stayed at the Windsor, supposedly a 5-star hotel - They don't tell you that not all rooms are 5-star - and mine was singularly non-stellar!

I agree with the previous poster - avoid Spencer Street - it's a bit of a desert - we stayed there when we had little choice (on AFL Grand FInal weekend) - what a dive. We stayed at the Batman - never again!

Spring Street is a bit away from the city centre, but only a 5-10 min walk. The Little Bourke or Lonsdale street hotels may be your best bet.

I'd be looking at wotif.com, or ratestogo.com, as well - to see what they are offering.