Feedback on itinerary

Mar 8th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Feedback on itinerary

We have two weeks (approximately) for our honeymoon on the South Island. We would like a really relaxing time--lots of hiking and outdoorsy stuff and scenic views. I am wondering if I have planned too much or too little. Can anyone tell me where this itinerary seems do-able or if I have left out any attractions or cities that shouldn't be missed?
Day 1:
take 8:30 am flight to Christchurch; arrive at 9:50 am in Christchurch

Day 2:
Staying in Akaroa

Day 3
take the TransAlpine train through Arthur's Pass to Greymouth and rent a car in Greymouth

Day 4—Greymouth exploration--glowworms/caving

Day 5— See Franz Joseph or Fox Glaciers and go hiking, option of scenic helicopter flights

Day 6— hike in glacier area, see Lake Matheson

Day 7-- Queenstown—known for extreme sports, view of the mountains, scenery where LOTR was filmed

Day 8-- Queenstown—Daytrip to Milford Sound

Day 9—Queenstown, stop at Lake Tekapo (hike to observatory by Mt John, stargazing tours)

Day 10—drive back toward Christchurch, stopping off at coastal towns

Day 11—return to Christchurch
Day 12--
fly to Auckland at 9:30 am, arrive in Auckland at 10:50 am, explore Auckland
Day 13--fly home

Mar 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM

If you want to visit any of the LotR sites, get a copy of Ian Brodie's "The Lord of the Rings Location Guide." You can see a lot around Queenstown without having to sign up for a tour.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Lee Ann
Mar 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lee Ann. I just realized that Christchurch to Queenstown is a 6 hour 55 minute drive according to a travel calculator I found. Can anyone recommend a good city to stop in between Christchurch and Queenstown? I.e. one that would break up the drive for a night?
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I'm confused. I don't really see a day on your itinerary where you go from Christchurch to Queenstown. Even so, we didn't have anything on our itinerary that we really wanted to do that day , so we bit the bullit and pushed on to Christchurch , on the day we left Queenstown.

On day 9 you say you are going to get as far as Lake Tekapo. For sure you'd only need a day to get to Christchurch from there.
So why don't you spend an extra day in Queestown area, perhaps visiting Wanaka and Arrowtown, and then head to Lake Tekapo on Day 10 and on to Christchurch on day 11.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

You know, we were trying to avoid spending any one whole day in the car...So now I am thinking we may spend a day in Oamaru and see the penguins which is in between Christchurch and Queenstown. Otherwise seven hours seems like a long time to be in the car on any one day.
I would also like to know about Milford Sound and Queenstown. Friends have told me it could be a day trip (4 hr drive each way), but did anyone spend the night nearer to Milford Sound rather than Queenstown to split up the driving?
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Te Anau is an option if you don't want to make the long day trip to Milford from Queenstown. Many people just pass through Te Anau, but I like the place. There are several hikes in the area and it's a nice little town. Te Anau is two hours from Queenstown and about 90 minutes from Milford Sound.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Seeing the penquins would be a great idea. I saw them on the Otago Peninsula on a tour from Dunedin. But if you have a chance to see them further north, go for it.
BUt if you are driving to Lake Tekapo, and stopping overnight, it still wouldn't be a bad drive to go on to Christchurch in one day.

I agree that Te Anau would be a great place to stay overnight. It's in a great location and a really nice little town. Much less touristy than Queenstown. and much closer to Milford Sound.
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I very much appreciate the help.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:43 PM
ned

Mrschava,

When you stay stop off at coastal towns I am assuming that you are referring to Timaru and Oamaru. I would not bother. I'd spend an extra day in Queenstown or Christchurch. There is nothing wrong with those towns there is just not much to do
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:05 AM

I was thinking the same thing, Ned. We were told there wasn't much in between, which is why we be-lined it for Christchurch.
However, if there is a chance to see penguins, and Mrschava doesn't want to do the drive in one day, perhaps it would be worthwhile for her.

Personally , I too, would spend the extra time in Te Anau or Queenstown area.

Think about it Mrschava.... Lake Tekapo to Christchurch would not be a really long day.
Good luck.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:56 PM

There's something funny about your Day 9 and Day 10. If you are going to Mt Cook and Lake Tekapo from Queenstown via Cromwell and Omarama, it makes no sense why you should backtrace the steps the Oamaru on Day 10, stayover then continue up Christchurch.

If you really wish see the blue penguins at Oamaru, they came onshore about an hour after sunset, which means you will be fine to arrive around 7pm (in March & Apr). I suggest you travel to Oamaru from Queenstown (or better still stay in Te Anau after your Milford trip and move to Dunedin and Oamaru from there). Continue to Omarama, Mt Cook and Lake Tekapo.

My concern about your staying over in Akaroa on your 2nd day. The TranzAlpine departs at 9am (or is it 8.30am?) It will be a rush to catch the train when you have to travel from as far as Akaroa. I suggest you visit Akaroa on your 1st day and stayover, back to Christchurch and stayover on 2nd day.