Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien or Pearl Beach in Bora Bora?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All:

My husband and I have narrowed down our trip to the South Pacific (we will go to Tonga to swim with the whales & see the islands for 9 days, one day/night in Rarotonga - cook islands and then on to Bora Bora in Tahiti for 7 days).

The problem we are now facing is trying to decide where to stay in Bora Bora. After much research and reading, I feel Bora Bora is the perfect island for us.

However, everyone has a different opinion on where to stay! I would appreciate any feedback you may have on the resorts we have narrowed it down to. However, we also are open to any other suggestions:

Le Meridien or Pearl Beach Bora Bora

We want a pretty property, nice over water bungalow with glass floor, easy access to real snorkeling, we like the turtle conservation project in Le Meridien, easy access to diving, etc.

Between these two properties, which one has the better service and extras/amenities??

I thank you all in advance...

Ingrid

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM
DJE

Ingrid,

Checkout www.tahiti-explorer.com for more comprehensive information on Bora Bora and FP. Was a very helpful site when planning our trips to the South Pacific.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM

This is easy for me - Pearl Beach. We've stayed at both and there is absolutely no contest. The management at the Meridien is truly awful - we had quite a few problems and the response was "tough". Pearl Beach was exactly the opposite - everything was perfect, yet they still made a point of asking how they could make things better. As an FYI - I contacted corporate management at the Meridien via letter and email after the trip - they couldn't be bothered to answer.

Snorkeling at the Meridien was not very good. In fact, the current there is so strong that my husband (an OK swimmer but not great) got right out of the water - he just couldn't do it. I'm a former lifeguard, and found it challenging. Also, it wasn't worth it - there is so much development that there are no longer that many great fish. For great snorkleling, I'd recommend Fiji. Or if you have your heart set on French Polynesia, then check out the Pearl Beach resort on Manihi - they also have an excellent dive program.

Good luck!
-Gisele

You will not make a mistake getting an
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi DJE & Gisele:

Thanks for the information. I have been on Tahiti-Explorer and found lots of useful information.

I am surprised to hear about the negative experiences at Le Meridien. Most of the reviews I have read have been good, but I completely understand that sometimes things can go very wrong - it can be pot luck.

We had decided to stay half the time in Le Meridien and the other half at the Sofitel (to get the better snorkeling experience). We'll think about this some more.

I have been hearing about the construction of new hotels being an issue - but it would be nice to explore that issue a little more. I am curious if the snorkelling is indeed not as good now in Tahiti due to the contruction and presence of boats, etc..

Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.