French Polynesia ...looking luxurious accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1999, my husband and I experienced the most wonderful vacation at Hotel Bora Bora. At the time, it was considered top-of-line, as far luxurious and service goes.
We are beginnning to plan for a return visit in 2004, so I am starting my "research". I understand there have been several new resorts built.
I would like to know from other readers which other properties are comparable to Hotel Bora Bora or is it in a class by itself? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM
sandi

Check the Pearl Resorts - they are on many of the islands.

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Though I loved the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort, I have to tell you that the 2 resorts in FP that seem to be getting the most positive postings on Polynesian message boards are the Sofitel Motu on Bora Bora and the Tahaa Pearl Beach.

Though I can't say much personally about either one, I can tell you that I've rarely, if ever heard a bad word about either of these 2 places.

Ken
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:44 PM

my wife and i just came back from our honeymoon in bora bora. We stayed at the sheratons bora bora nui and cant imagine a nicer place anywhere on earth! we had dinner one nite at the hotel bora bora and were incredibly disappointed at both the food and the service. That being said, i have heard many people rave about the hotel bora bora.
The bora bora nui is about a year old. The OTW bungalows were phenominal. Service was outstanding from the second we were picked up on the boat until the second we got dropped off. I would highly recommend the Nui to anyone going to bora bora!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. The Nui looks fabulous. How was the privacy factor at the OTW bungalow? Would of prefered one location over another? Is this the only place you stayed? Did you visit the other islands?
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:53 PM
DJE

katie,

You might also like to take a look at fiji as a resort location. We were there a few years back at the Yasawa Island resort and had a fabulous time. We plan on returning to fiji only this time are interested in the new Katafanga Resort. It's a private little island with what looks to be top of the line luxury in terms of facilities,food etc. and still in a more intimate setting.

We have been to FP twice, once on a Windstar cruise and the second time a year and a half ago spending time on the islands and also visiting the Marquesas. Both trips were great but I think the next jaunt to a tropical resort will be the Katafanga. You might want to look at that one as well.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM

Katafanga Island Resort is still closed. Check the April 2006 archives on www.southpacific.org/blog/
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
DJE

pacific88,

Thanks for the update on Katafanga. Looks like it won't be open anytime soon with the island up for sale and the project incomplete. You certainly don't get this impression from the Katafanga website.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Hi Katie,

I just got back from FP & the Cook Islands on Wednesday -- it was a familiarization trip for travel agents in conjunction with the Tourism Board and my wholesaler. I did site inspections on all the properties mentioned (and THEN some -- it was a BUSY BUSY trip)!

I think Hotel Bora Bora is wonderful, and it's got a high repeat guest factor, which says a great deal about a resort; I also stayed at Bora Bora Nui and Tahaa.

For the "wow" factor you'd be hard pressed to find anything that could top Tahaa. When I opened the door to my bungalow, my jaw dropped. It's huge! Upon arrival, the tub was filled and has flowers floating in it; the aquarium feature is at the foot of the bed and is hinged (opens like a trunk) so you can feed the fish right from your room; there's also a huge deck. When I returned from dinner I found several tissue wrapped gifties (honestly, I haven't even unwrapped them yet to find out what they are, but I'll let you know)!

We started out having appetizers with the owners (an amazing selection); followed by a fantastic dinner.

Since I sat next to the General Manager at dinner, I HAD to ask what celebrities may have stayed there, and I was surprised that he actually told me!

In addition to Charlize Theron, Bill Gates and his wife; Tom Cruise, Katie, his 2 kids and his mom were at the resort in February. His kids each got a bungalow to themselves and he also had an "extra" one on the other side of the island because....well, because he's Tom Cruise and he wanted one! The rest of the bunch ate in the dining room, but Tom does not like to be watched while he's eating and took his meals in his room (and besides apparently he was on some sort of diet preparing for a movie, where he needed to eat something every 2 hours).

At the Bora Bora Nui the GM assured me that Sharon Stone and Charlize Theron do NOT look as gorgeous as they appear in the movies or magazines real life.... that was some consolation, but I fear that Charlize Theron on her worst day looks better than I do on my best!

Btw, the GM at the Bora Bora Nui, looks EXACTLY like "Mr. Locke" from LOST!

Hope this is helpful!

Regards,

Melodie
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

What a fun job and a wonderful report Melodie...thank you. Hopefully, we will return in 2006. (Did not make it in 2004.)
What properties did you visit while at Cooks Island?
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Hi Katie,

I didn't even notice the dates on the post! Must have been the jet lag!!!

It SOUNDS like a fun job, but trust me, walking around resorts in 95 degree weather (don't even know what the humidity was)in the blazing sun seeing every room category, facilities and gazing longingly at the infinity pool isn't what it's cracked up to be!

I saw 13 hotels in the Cooks (in 3 days); what are you interested in?

Regards,

Melodie