Lautoka or Nadi hotel before Blue Lagoon Cruise?

Jul 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Lautoka or Nadi hotel before Blue Lagoon Cruise?

Hello,
We will have one night before departing on the Blue Lagoon cruise... Do you recommend staying in Nadi or Lautoka? Any hotels under F$200?
We will also need a day room between disembarking around noon and our 10pm flight... recommendations for that? Can you recommend good places to buy handicrafts in either town? (Our flight departs on a Sunday and I don't know what will be open.)
Thanks!
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I'd definitely stay in Nadi rather than Lautoka. There are lots of good Nadi hotels - try either the Tokatoka, Tanoa or Mocambo. I'm also sure that both will offer day rooms, they're very used to these late flights!

For handicrafts in Nadi Jack's is probably the best. I'm not sure if they are open on a Sunday, but they have outlets at most of the hotels and a large range at the airport.
Jul 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM

First Landing resort is half way between the two towns. The beach there is pretty awful but the resort is nice. They have some nice authentic local handicrafts there too! Good luck.
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will check those hotels out.
Have either of you purchased Fijian handicrafts, and what should we look for? I know there are kava bowls, and wooden mats, and cannibal forks (!?!)
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Fiji's Museum in Suva has some lovely handicrafts including fabric wraps and Tanoa bowls for sale. The more expensive shops like Jacks have a plethora of stuff like gorgeous wood carvings, woven mats, shell jewellery etc. We bought some great baskets there. A lot of the beautiful stuff is very expensive. Pacific Green, between Nadi & Suva have some of the most gorgeous furniture we've ever seen, and mostly designed and made in the Fijian Islands. Buy what you love, because you may not see it again, elsewhere. Have a magic time!
Jul 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lyndie. Unfortunately I don't think we will be able to go to the museum in Suva...Is Jack's a "responsible" place to purchase handicrafts? Meaning, do you know if the local artists are appropriately paid/treated?
Jul 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Hi Tim & Liz
Jack's is big business in Fiji and I think the bottom line is they try to make a big profit on what they sell, like any other business. They certainly have a monopoly on souvenirs etc. in Nadi. There are other shops but Jack's has the biggest one & they are in many hotel lobbies etc. Personally I think they are way too expensive and if you wanted to ensure that local craftspeople get the money then I'd do a bit of research on www.lonelyplanet.com & www.fijiguide.com and ask if locals can recommend specific places to buy good quality stuff. The Fijian Government have a shop in Suva. Maybe there is one in Nadi, also. Google or yahoo it and see. We bought some lovely woven mats and bags from a lady at a stall along the road. Local markets are good for souvenirs and Nadi has one in a street behind the main road.

Good luck & have a great trip!