Tokoriki, Castaway, and Blue Lagoon Cruise questions

Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Tokoriki, Castaway, and Blue Lagoon Cruise questions

Which resort would be better for a single woman -Castaway or Tokoriki? I am looking for a slightly upscale resort with a beautiful beach and good snorkeling. But, I also want to feel comfortable as a single traveler. Is Tokoriki too couples oriented? Is Castaway too family oriented with lots of children? Which would choose under these circumstances?

Also, would a Blue Lagoon Cruise be a good choice for a single traveler?
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Yes to the Blue Lagoon - I've done it on my own and enjoyed it. I personally prefer Tokoriki as it's smaller and the bures are nicer. I think both would be fine as a single - but make sure you're not going to Castaway during Australian or NZ school holidays when it's packed with kids.
Apr 5th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Mary, thanks so much for the reply. I was leaning towards Tokoriki, so I'm glad to know that I will not feel out of place.

Since I posted my question, though, I have come across another resort that seems nice....Navini Island Resort. It's small and seems very authentic. Also, when I called the resort for information, the person sounded very friendly and welcoming. What do you think about this resort?

I am also thinking about taking a Captain Cook Cruise instead of the Blue Lagoon Cruise because the CC Cruise is four nights instead of three, and it seems to spend more time in the Yasawas.

I would appreciate any comparisons.

Thanks again.

Apr 5th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Hi there Happy2travel

You asked about Navini. We have been there twice and hopefully will get there again later this year. It is very good.

Not as luxurious perhaps as some of the Top End resorts. But then it does not have the top end prices. However it certainly is very comfortable.

It is a very friendly place. You are known by your name there, not a bure number.

When we were there last year there were two solo travellers there at the same time. A gent from Southern England and one from Japan. They were both on about there 10th visit to the place. It is very good for both the solo or family traveller.

The Island itself is small with only 10 bures. On our first visit there we made up three out of the five guests on the Island for a while. I have never seen more than 12 guests there at any one time though I believe it takes up to around 25.

Thare are activities such as fishing, visiting neighbouring Islands, snorkiing, sailing, Kayaking and plain vegeing out. No TV or phones which is a major plus. If you are feeling very energetic you can join the staff for the daily volleyball game on the beach out in front of the bar at around 4PM. It gets the appetite up for cocktails.

You can keep to yourself if you wish or join other guests for meals and activities. The choice is yours and all requests are received with a smile and a pretty much can do attitude.

I have no hesitation in recommending Navini for a stay in Fiji.

Cheers

Steve
Apr 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM

I've also been to Navini on my own and it was lovely. It is very small and everyone is very friendly. The only slight complaint is that their bures are not quite as luxe as those on Tokoriki. They're perfectly fine though - just not as modern.

If you do decide on Tokoriki it is well worth while paying the extra for a sea plane transfer as otherwise you waste most of a day getting there and another day getting back to the mainland.

Navini transfer you in their own boat and it's a very easy transfer.
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Tokoriki's beach is not very good. Lots of rocks, sea lice and seaweed. We were very disappointed. Don't go there for a great beach. Also it is very much a couples place. A cruise is a fine way to check out some of the beautiful beaches in the Yasawa islands.
Apr 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Mary, if you were deciding between Navini and Tokoriki, which would you choose? Also, how many nights would you spend at the resort?

Thanks again.

Lisa
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:40 PM

I'd probably go for Navini - it's more laid-back and restful. As far as time - I love at least 5 days so that I unwind properly. I've been known to stay 10, but that is really self-indulgent!
I'm not sure why Lyndie didn't like Tokoriki's beach, I was there in July last year and it was fine. The sea lice are not resort specific - you can get them anywhere - it just depends on the tides. I've encountered them throughout the Yasawas and Mamanucas at times, but on the next trip to the same resort haven't felt one. Navini seems to have fewer (although that could just be luck), perhaps because it's closer to the mainland.
Apr 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Mary. I am leaning towards the 3 night Blue Lagoon Club Cruise on the Yasawa Princess, and then spending 3 or 4 nights at Navini. I originally was going with a 4 night Capt. Cook Cruise, because of the itinerary, but it doesn't work as well with my flight times.

Tokoriki really looks beautiful, especially their bures. But, I love the idea of having fabulous snorkeling right off the beach, the peacefulness and friendliness of a small resort, the included excursions, and the easy transfer to and from the resort, that I will have with Navini.

I will be making hotel and cruise reservations in the next couple of days so if anyone has further suggestions I would love to read them.

Thanks again.
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:59 PM

maryk-Tokoriki's beach (as you know) faces west and it was exceptionally windy when we were there. We've been to Fiji 6 times in all and never encountered sea lice or seaweed like we got at Tokoriki, also there is not much to see if you snorkel off the beach. We've loved snorkelling in New Caledonia much more than Fiji. Just my humble opinion!
Apr 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Lisa, it's worth asking Navini if they'll collect you direct from the Blue Lagoon boat (as it passes) rather than have to dock in Lautoka and then transfer. I remember that they did this some years ago for someone. Anyway even if they can't do this, they should be able to collect you fro Lautoka and then take you direct to their dock at Vuda rather than you having to go back to Nadi first. I would contact them direct about this.
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

That's a great idea Mary. I will contact Navini about picking me up directly from the Blue Lagoon boat or, if they won't do that, from Lautoka for the transfer to their boat.

I have one more question. I will be flying into Nadi the day before the cruise. Where do you think I should stay for that one night -near Nadi or Lautoka? Do you have any specific hotel recommendations? Someone suggested Sonaisali to me, but I have read some negative things about it. What do you think?

Thanks again!
Apr 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM

I would absolutely NOT stay at Sonisali - even for a night! I hated it - particularly the food. It's also some distance from Nadi. I'd suggest one of the several hotels near the airport. I usually stay at the Mocambo (but haven't been there for a number of years), but I've noticed quite a few positive posts regarding others.
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Mary, since I last posted, I did a bit more research and found a resort called First Landing. The resort is located midway between Nadi and Lautoka, which seemed like a good location since I'll have to head over to Lautoka for my Blue Lagoon Cruise. I haven't been able to find any reviews from prior guests, but the Moon Handbook to Fiji seemed to like it. BTW, Moon did not like Sonaisale either.

If anyone has any experience with First Landing Resort, I would appreciate more information.

Also, Mary, do you have any suggestions regarding accommodations at Navini? And, if you had 6 nights to stay at a resort, would you spend all 6 at Navini, or would you split it between 2 different types of resorts, say 3 nights at Navini and 3 nights at Castaway? What do you think?

I really wanted to spend some time at Maravu because I enjoy birdwatching, which Taveuni is known for, and I really like their cultural programs. But, the transportation might be difficult and very time consuming getting from Navini to Maravu, or vice versa. I would love to hear people's opinions on this.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to help with my planning.
Apr 12th, 2005, 11:42 PM

I've not stayed at First Landing - but have a friend who is a regular and loves it. It is adjacent to where the boat leaves for Navini at Vuda.
Personally I'd stay at Navini for the whole time. They do a trip each day to another island or resort, so you're unlikely to get bored and the snorkelling around the island off the beach is excellent.

All of the accomodation on Navini has a beach front location and there's not really a 'best area', so it's really a matter of how large a bure you want (or can afford!). The one bedroom bures are smallish - but perfectly fine for a single.

Getting to Taveuni is a flight from Nadi, so it's probably going to take the best part of 1/2 - 3/4's of a day in each direction depending on flight departure times.

Hope this helps!
Apr 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mary,

That information definitely did help. I feel much better about staying at First Landing now.

Also, you pretty much confirmed my thoughts about staying at 2 different resorts. The experience might be nice, but I really don't want to waste too much vacation time with travel back and forth. Sooooo, I think I'll just stay at Navini. They really make it easy to transfer, too, which is great.

I'm looking forward to meeting the people who run the resort. When I called to ask a few questions, they were so upbeat and friendly. Actually, that's what sold me on Navini vs, Tokoriki. I know the service at Tokoriki is supposed to be very good, but the 2 people I spoke with at Tokoriki sounded very disinterested, which was the complete opposite response I received at Navini.

Thanks again, Mary.
Apr 13th, 2005, 07:17 PM

The oil terminal adjacent to the marina and close to First Landing does not add to the ambience of the area, imho. The beach at First Landing is pretty awful as well. Sorry for all the negative info however I'd want to know the bad stuff if I was you.