Jet Lag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Lag

We are going to NZ and Australia for the month of November and I have found wonderful insight and tips here to help in planning our trip.

We return on Monday, Nov 27 at 4:30 pm to NY area and I have a meeting in Portland, OR on Dec 1 and 2 for which I would have to depart from NY on Thursday, Nov. 30. Based on your experience, does it make any difference if I return home to NY area and then fly to Portland on Thursday or should I consider just flying to Portland area on Monday and recuperate from jet lag there before the meeting? Thanks so much.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Hello dellyb, we are all so different but personally if I was in your position I would fly to Portland OR and recurperate there and than fly home after your meeting. But it depends on how jet lag hits you and also since you say "we" will you have to take a different flight from NZ or Australia to Portland, OR then your other travelling companions? Or would they all fly to Portland, OR and stay there with you? If not would they be upset that you were not on the flight home with them to NY?
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. (I love Italy, too!) I'll be with my husband and college-aged daughter so they are fine returning home without me. One of my sons who travels for work (and acknowledging that he is 28) says that after a month away, I'll want to come home first and travel back; my husband says "it's only 3 hours difference compared to where we've been." Everyone I know who has traveled to China, Australia, etc. has taken at least 4 days to recover from jet lag (although most of them are older than I.) I was thinking of going to Portland but then thought that if I'm going to be awake in the middle of the night, I might prefer to be at home.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM

I would like to suggest you fly directly to Portland. My husband and I frequently fly NZ to Canada. We have no problem going south but we always suffer from jet lag coming north despite that the time difference is only a few hours minus a day.
If you land in Portland, you could take the time to adjust your body in Portland getting ready for your meeting instead of all that airtravel and airport to and fro-ing in Portland. This also means you would break your trip East and would acclimate your body slowly.
Not as if you will be going home to warm weather in NY and weather (for walking) maybe better in Portland.
Happy trails.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:53 PM

Hello again dellyb, from the additional information you have given I do have to say if it was me I would fly to Portland, OR and consequently give myself those few days to get aclimated to being back in the states. Some good sleep, some long walks which is so easy to do in Portland, some quite time etc.

I sure understand how you would want to be back in NY with your family but in that you would only basically have three nights and two days with them and taking into consideration the time spent getting to the airport, the security, another flight etc. if I were going to have to sit through a couple of days of business meetings I would handle that better if I had a couple of days to unwind and get over the jetlag in Portland, OR.

Best wishes to you with your decision..and YES, isn't Italy wonderful!