Hotels at Sydney Airport or immediate area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are flying into Sydney on March 4th of 08 and arrive at 8:05. We will be flying out the next morning to NZ on an 8:50 Jetstar flight to Christchurch. We are looking for a good hotel at a resonable price close to the Airport to ensure that we catch our early morning flight. Jetstar requires an early check in. We would prefer one that has a shuttle to the airport but would consider others close by. We will be returning to Sydney on March 23rd at 8:10. We will have until March 25th for our flight back to the US. We are also looking for suggestions to stay close in Sydney to main attractions from the 23rd until our plan leaves on the 25th at 14:50 (2:50 p.m.) We are looking for accomodations in the $80 to $150 range at the top end. Also since we are arriving on the 4th early in the morning we would like to know how difficult it might be to get from an airport hotel into the city for a few hours on the 4th before calling it a day. Are buses or trains available close by? Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM

The airport holiday inn could work for you.About 100 metres from mascot rail station. A$7 to the city.You will be able to sample sydney in one day if you can stay awake.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was fine. Be aware that you will be able to take a shuttle bus to the hotel for free, but you will have to pay to get back to the airport. Very weird, but that's the deal. But it was comfortable and convenient.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:15 AM

Hi Biglar

We stayed at the Ibis airport hotel at Mascot which is closer to Mascot Train Station than the Holiday Inn, (HInn prices from AU$270 pdpn so a bit over your price range). About 5 mins walk.

The rooms at Ibis are sleek and <i>very</i> compact, the bathroom a rounded-cabin with shower only (no bath) – but beds super comfortable, linen and towels high quality, and as an economical overnighter, it was perfect for us.

http://www.accorhotels.com.au/3058/detail/default.aspx

For our outgoing journey, we managed to snag an internet Winter Special of AU$129 (all inclusive) for a double, which included a full breakfast at the restaurant.

For our return six weeks later, we didn’t book until just prior – with an internet price of AU$159 per double and no brekkie. So it pays to check for specials if time permits.

The shuttle bus to the Ibis from the airport is free – but, like so many other hotels in the area, the shuttle bus from the hotel to the terminals cost $5 each. Took about 15 minutes – the bus does the Domestic drop before continuing to International.

You can check train timetables and routes on the City Rail online timetable
http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/

and get great help at the Transport Infoline’s Trip Planner menu if you need to change trains, etc.

Hope this helps,
Jackie

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Biglar,
Just a note on Jetstar - make sure you are not one nanosecond late - they are VERY strict on check-in times and won't let you on the flight if you aren't checked in by their deadline.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all that responded to my request. I will be looking at booking a room at the IBIS hotel.
You have all been very helpful. THANKS!