Host gift - visitor from Texas to Australia

Sep 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Host gift - visitor from Texas to Australia

My husband and I are traveling to Australia and staying with some friends in Sydney. While they are a very international couple and I already have my gift for the wife I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion about what the husband might like as a host gift. I don't want to leave him out. Anyone have suggestions? I will be traveling to New Zealand first and don't get to Sydney until the end of two week trip (so it can't be too cumbersome).
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:22 PM

If visiting me, bring alcohol. Can be purchased duty free as you enter the country.
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I agree, wine or whisky or something similar would be good, as long as you know that he drinks. NZ have some excellent wines. The only problem is it's a bit heavy and breakable too. A book or CD would be nice if you know his taste, or chocolates.

A souvenir of where you come from would also be nice, do you have a visitors centre where they sell things to tourists? Maybe a Texas bottle opener or tshirt?

It's hard buying gifts! Good luck.
Kay
Just had a thought - you won't be able to take wine or whisky on the plane, it will have to go in your checked bags. We've done that successfully a number of times, just pack it REALLY well. Alan's idea of buying once you land in Australia may be a better idea. They may allow duty free bought in NZ as you are leaving to be taken on the plane but I'm not sure.
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM

The recipe for a really good Texas Hot Sauce. I've lost the one an old friend gave me
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM

My first suggestion would be the bottle opener that plays "The Eyes of Texas". It's lightweight and unique. http://www.universitycoop.com/ePOS/s...l&design=coop3
If you have ties to another university, there are bottle openers for all sorts of colleges, but what can be better than a bottle opener with a longhorn on it!
Anyway, there are two other websites you can look at for ideas or to do your shopping. One is for the Texas Highways store and they have some quality items. (I have purchased things from them for out-of-state and overseas friends.) I like the looks of the "Don't Mess with Texas" CD's featuring Texas musicians, the travel mug with the iconic words of Davy Crockett, or the state flag BBQ apron. All of those would be lightweight and unbreakable. (They have a great selection of coffee mugs, but you'd have to worry about breakage on those.) See: http://www.texashighways.com/giftshop/
Finally, there is a store in Houston I have visited called "Y'all's" and they have an online store too. In addition to gift items, they have a wide selection of Texas foods,. However, I would avoid taking food, even when it's packaged, because the restrictions on food brought into Australia are strict and you don't want to be worrying about whether what you brought in will be confiscated or not. See: http://www.yalls.com/
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I wish I had a recipe to share....
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM

A mug from your home town, a coffee table book of your home town ...?

Lavandula
Oct 1st, 2010, 01:08 AM

Dinner plate sized belt buckle...LOLLOLOLOL The 20 gallon hat. Some King ranch cookery books. Dallas Cowboy baseball hat.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:10 AM

I'm in your debt, Charli47: found my Texas Hot Sauce recipe!
Thank you for the prompt.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM

I like the ideas of: the Texas BBQ apron, a light weight book of Texas/your home town, a Texas bottle opener, a Dallas Cowboy baseball hat (check with the wife if he would wear it), or alcohol purchased on the way into Australia (preferably something American if you can find it - again may need to check with the wife about preferences).
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM

If you're in Sydney a day or two before you meet up with your friends you could even buy alcohol at a local bottle shop. The larger stores will have US wines and spirits.
Oct 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hey Bokhara 2 - interested in sharing your recipe? I am intrigued. My husband lives on hot sauce! Here is what I am planning, a mug and t-shirt that uses a famous quote from Davy Crockett..."YOU May all go to HELL and I will go to Texas!" I might see if I can add a BBQ apron.
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Here 'tis, Charli47.

2 cups tomato sauce (you might use ketchup)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tspn salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tblspns salad oil
Dash of cayene pepper.

Mix in saucepan & bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes.

Enjoy - it came from a Texan here on R&R in '67, who became a good friend & spent a few leaves at our place in the country.
Said he wanted to go to a country race meeting - so we took him to Louth (1700km round trip from Sydney) for the weekend.
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recipe Bokhara2! Looks pretty darn easy.

WE are ready for our departure on Sunday and can't believe we are about to leave. I feel like I am missing something in my plans because I did so much of it in August.... I promise to do a good trip report when I return.