Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Things from Texas to bring to a British pal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
DSK

Any ideas?<BR>He is mid 30's and in the military.<BR>Going in December.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Jinx Hoover

How about some Dr. Pepper? Seriously, maybe some salsa and chips. Or a good chili mix. Or a Willie Nelson CD. Or some bluebonnet seeds. Or a round-trip ticket to Austin (where we live-we could show him the sights).

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:59 AM
S. C. DIXON

Last spring I took packets of Williams’ chili seasoning, great stuff. They were received cautiously by several of my English friends who, hard to believe, had never eaten chili. I printed labels on my computer for each packet with my own tips (that they could use lamb, roast pork, chicken instead of ground beef, etc.)<BR><BR>It is gratifying that several of these folks have written or emailed me asking if it would be possible for me to mail them more. One said it was the absolute smashing hit at her church social!<BR><BR>Although I’ve seen a handful of “Mexican-style” restaurants in London (and one or two in Paris) American Indian/Tex-Mex food is a real rarity in Europe. I went into a huge market in France and the total extent of their “Mexican” menu items was a 3x5 foot shelf of Old El Paso items. (Eventually somebody’s gonna make a fortune when this type of food really catches hold…)<BR><BR>Williams’ is a primo mix, it is simple, it is inexpensive, it is unique and it packs well. If that brand is not available look for another. Williams is made in Lenexa, KS so you might try to find a brand that’s made near where you are from. I think the label with your own personal touches is important too.<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:00 AM
sandy

1. Pasta in the shape of Texas, can buy it at the grocery store and it's cheap.<BR><BR>2. Texas wine, we have some great wines<BR><BR>3. Cello packages of tortillas (both corn and flour)<BR><BR>4. Cans of pickled jalapeno peppers<BR><BR>5. Tortilla chips, also in the shape of Texas<BR><BR>6. Bag of mesquite chunks (if you have plenty of room) so he can have his own BBQ<BR><BR>7. Shiner Bock beer<BR><BR>8. Margarita mix (and Tequila)

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:00 AM
S. C.

p.s. A friend of mine took a nice Stetson to an English friend and that was a show stopper, believe me! Also, maybe a few small bottles of a good tequila?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:02 AM
spoon

We've got Dr Pepper, and I doubt if they'll let you in with Blue bonnet seeds.<BR><BR>I doubt they'll let you on the plane with a colt 45.<BR><BR>How bout some jerky (which we don't have) and a big ole Stetson?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Englishchillifan

.. where have those english folk been living for the last 15 years? Never eaten chilli? I live on the stuff. And there are loads and loads of TexMex style restaurants here. Its old hat. Try bringing something else.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:13 AM
Englishgirl

I am mid thirties. I would love to receive an original stetson hat! how cool. (and we have Dr Pepper over here too - thats nothing different)

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
trying

I don't know where this fits in, but isn't there a "Texas Embassy" in London? I think it is a restaurant, but don't know. Anyway, you may want to avoid something that is readily available there, or maybe play off of it.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
dt

Bring him back the Bush family, with the stipulation that he must keep them.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
manny

A allas Cowboys Cheerleader

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
xxx

I'm a Texan living in Europe and I would love it if someone brought me tequila (Cuervo Gold) and good margarita mix. He may also need ice cube trays! I can find flour tortillas here but never corn tortillas. Texan wine would be cool, like Llano (?? oh geez, I can't remember the name now, it's from around Lubbock).

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Dallas

Europe does have a variety of Dr. Pepper, but it doesn't taste anything like the kind we have. I really think the Stetson hat idea is a good one.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Dan

I would avoid bringing food as it could lead to disappointment. Our supermarket shelves here in the UK are STACKED with TexMex type stuff, tortillas, nachos and salsa etc etc - more than you can shake a stick at. And we have TexMex restaurants, numbers of which will soon start to rival Indian restaurants! (There are 4 in my 'small town' I can think of). But the tequila sounds good!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:25 PM
justa

If you bring a cowboy hat, make it a cheap one, unless you know for a fact that he wants one and will wear it. Think about the reverse, such as if he were to bring you one of those black furry hats the Queen's Guard wears. It would be cute, funny, and would go immediately to a closet or attick....Remember, we all have a bunch of junk we don't need. Too often, well intended gifts collect dust in a closet. My mantra: give consumables.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
REDRUM

Sorry, Englishchillifan, but I lived in England for 2 years and have visited probably 15 times and I’m here to tell you, what you’ve been eatin’ AIN’T chili.<BR><BR>Brrrrr…I get goosebumps thinking of some of the things that pass for chili in England!<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Bob

Don't know where you live but here are a few ideas from different areas:<BR><BR>San Antonio: Call the Alamo at 215.225.1391. They will fly a very nice,large Texas flag over the Alamo for you on the day you want and send you the flag and an 81/2 by 11 inch official document made to the person you desiginate certifying that this flag flew over the Alamo. You don't get much more Texan than that! Around $50.00<BR><BR>Austin: The Bob Bullock Museum of Texas History (great place by the way) sells replicas of the large hinges that are on all the doors of the Texas State Capitol building and say TEXAS CAPITOL on them. Very heavy, brass color and around $80...but they look great in a bookcase.<BR><BR>Dallas: The Galleria Mall on LBJ Freeway has a store with nothing but Texas stuff in it. One of my favorites was a Tshirt that said" What part of Y'ALL don't you understand?" If you live in Dallas just go to the store and find something.<BR><BR>Me? I have the Alamo flag proudly displayed in my office that flew on March 2....Texas Independence Day. Skip the food junk.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
Bob C

T-shirts or sweat shirts with Texas logo.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:00 PM
Sandi

Pecans.... I didn't read all the answers here so maybe someone else mentioned it. But doesn't Texas grow those huge, beautiful pecans?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
DSK

Thanks all..more if you can.<BR>Did the Dr. Pepper thing and was a big hit!<BR>Wondering how you find out someones hat size???<BR>Also, how bout boots??<BR>BTW we live in Round Rock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -