hoping for advice - first trip to the Cooks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to the Cook Islands - and are considering going in early September for two weeks. From the books, it sounds as though the weather is OK then-- does anyone know if this is so? We want a self-catering cottage -- and are thinking about the Muri Beach area...Anyone have advice about good places to stay? Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Do a search here for Cook Islands, and you will find a ton of info. For self catering at Muri Beach area try Muri Beachcomber. Nice units with complete kitchen set-ups. BarBQ facilities in the common area. Units are in duplex buildings arranged in a U shape around a grassy area looking out on the lagoon. Plenty of restaurants nearby if you get tired of cooking. There are a few others, but that's where we stayed in March.
For guidebooks, the Lonely Planet is still the only book devoted only to Cooks, but that was last printed in 1998 so is out of date. Lots of publishers, including Fodors, have books for South Pacific which feature Cook Islands. Sept should be ok, just know that whenever you go, it probably rains. Hey, its the tropics, right. Rain usually consists of passing squalls. you should love the cooks!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:08 AM
ALF

We stayed within walking distance of Muri Beach at Aroko Bungalows. While there are perhaps one or two too many bungalows on this small property (perhaps 6 total), the two ocean-front bungalows were delightful, with fully-equipped kitchens. We thought the prices were quite reasonable, compared to other places.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:26 PM

Be careful about the tradewinds in September!!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:52 PM

A little more info. I stayed at the Palm Grove Lodge (self catering) when I was there and I really liked it. There is a store within walking distance and the bus stops right across the street. They also have bicycle rentals at the hotel. I went in early September and because of the trade winds, it was a bit cold at night and a few rain storms, but otherwise the weather was ok. I believe the water is a bit rougher on the Muri beach side of the island, but down by the Muri Beach lagoon, it's quite nice.

Any more questions, let me know.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Yes, Deborah is correct about the tradewinds. The average daily high that time of year is around 76-77 degrees F. This sounds pretty warm considering that it's winter down there (about like our summer here in Seattle) but keep in mind that the trade winds almost always blow, so the wind-chill makes it feel quite a bit cooler - especially on the windward (eastern) side of the island. I've only been to the Cooks during March-April (late summer down there) but have been to Kauai at the end of winter (late March) - and it's about the same as Aug-Sept will be in Raro. Though it is the cooler time of the year, you can expect lots of sunshine then, as it's the tail end of their dry season. Rain probably won't be an issue - nor will temperature really. Rest assured that it's not likely to be cold, but may be a little cooler than you might expect (especially in the evenings). Bringing a light sweater is a good idea. You shouldn't need it during the day, but you may appreciate it in the evenings.

Ken