Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?

Jan 21st, 2015, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?

For a trip in March, we'd love to visit Tasmania for several days, probably prior to 5 nights in Melbourne and possibly 2 nights in Ballarat. (As described in a separate post, asking about that!)

Question- if we have 8 nights, how do we split them up? I'd be inclined to take advice read here, which sounds sensible, to fly into one and fly back from the other (to Melbourne), with the bus to get us from one to the other.

Have read lots of posts here and elsewhere, and it sounds like there's plenty to keep us busy exploring each town and also take some day trips via some sort of tour to see the things a bit further out.

It seems though that Hobart could use more time, what with Pt Arthur to visit, maybe a cruise etc. in addition to things in town. Maybe instead of 4 and 4, do 5 and 3? I assume no one would say 8 days is too many??
Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:14 AM

Will you not have a car? Normally I would say don't just base yourself in cities but if you're not going to have a car, that would be the more practical solution and I would add an extra night in Hobart as there are more day trip possibilities and things to do in town. But do consider renting a car as that's the best way to see Tasmania.
Jan 23rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

correct, no car. I realize there's much greater opportunity with a car, but we would prefer not.

I think what I'd like to really ask-considering that we won't have a car, is 5 nights Hobart and 3 nights Launceston too many?
Jan 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM

I recently spent a long weekend in Hobart. I took the ferry to MONA - even if you're not wild about art, the journey is pleasant and there is a choice of places to eat and drink there. In fact the gallery and exhibits were great. I then walked to GASP but honestly can't recommend the walk unless you're keen as the first few km are alongside a major road. Salamanca market on Saturday is fun (and tempting). And wandering aimlessly around Battery Point and Sandy Bay is always very pleasant, especially early in the day. I also walked along the Rivulet (sp?) which is like a linear park to Cascade Brewery. Although I didn't take a tour, there is a lovely beer garden. As it was very hot, I really enjoyed relaxing with a beer. They also serve some food but didn't try it so can't comment.

There are local buses to places like Richmond, Mount Wellington and Port Arthur but services did no appear to be frequent (I looked them up online) and didn't really have time anyway. There are a range of organised tours like Mt Field, Port Arthur, Richmond, Peppermint Bay, Huon Valley and coastal areas including Bruny Island. Tour details are available online.

It's years since I've visited Launceston but I would say that there is more to do and see in and around Hobart.
Jan 23rd, 2015, 06:30 PM

I don't think 5 nights is too long for Hobart. I haven't stayed in Launceston.
Jan 23rd, 2015, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we are wild about art, so that and the other things mentioned sound great, so now I feel very positive.

Ummm- maybe we should stay the whole time in Hobart and use that as a base?
Jan 24th, 2015, 02:17 PM

I don't think five nights is too long in Hobart.

I can't imagine going to TAS w/o a car though. You're going to be really limited on what you can see and do, and I think you'll find tours quite expensive.

You'll also find yourself backtracking a lot, as you'll leave and return to Hobart numerous times.

TAS is best seen by car via a circular route.
Jan 24th, 2015, 04:27 PM

If you do want to explore a fair bit beyond Hobart without a car, there will be some backtracking, as Mel says, so you could consider a short multi-day guided tour. Also check bus schedules online if you want to do it independently.
Jan 25th, 2015, 06:44 PM

My daughter and I did a self drive two week vacation in Tasmania. Personally, two nights is more than enough time in Launceston if that.
I would highly recommend renting a car if you can-do a day in Port Arthur,Freycinet National Park,Cradle Mountain,etc. if you can.We loved Tasmania! Be sure and hit the MERS restaurant at waters edge in Hobart for the best and most reasonable seafood. (Use the downstairs restaurant and sit outside to enjoy the harbor).
Jan 25th, 2015, 10:39 PM

I loved Mt Field national park - suggested above.