4-5 Days in Tasmania, Need Help with Itinerary

Apr 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

4-5 Days in Tasmania, Need Help with Itinerary

I will be spending Oct. 12th-16th in Tasmania with a buddy of mine. We're flying into Hobart on the 12th, flying out of Lauceston on the 16th. 13th, 14th, and 15th are the only full days we have. The plan is to rent a car and explore the island as best as we can. Fortunately and unfortunately, we're overwhelmed with the options we have and know we cannot fit everything in our limited time there. Looking for advice from people who have been and can offer an realistic driving times between sites and let us know what can realistically be done. We're active 20'somethings, who aren't necessarily looking for relaxation, just some Tasmanian scenery and culture.

We're looking at:
Cradle Mountain
Port Arthur/Tasman Peninsula
Wineglass Bay

We're torn because given our short time, I've read that recommendations say to just explore the east coast. But many people add Cradle Mountain as a must see. Not sure how we can easily do everything we want.

My initial idea, but please, we're open to anything and everything. Nothing is set other than our arrival and departure.

12th - Spend the remaining day and evening in Hobart.
13th - Day trip to Tasman Peninsula/Port Arthur. Is it advisable to do a Tasman Peninsula adventure cruise or see some of the other sites during the day and do Port Arthur in the evening for the ghost tour?
14th - Cradle Mountain area. Lake St. Clair. We just want to do a few day-hikes that could give us some spectacular scenery. What's the best advice here.
15th - Wineglass Bay area during the day. Drive to Lauceston in the evening
16th - Half day in Lauceston, fly back to Sydney.
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM

We spent 8 days in Taz and didn't see a third of the Hobart side. One of the higlights for us was an eco-tour on Bruny Island. This could be done in the am and Port Arthur in the afternoon. Near Port Arthur is a Tasmanian Devil animal park. It was very interesting.
To see the view of Wineglass Bay it's a hike. To get there, hike, enjoy and then drive on is a very full day.
The tour books make it sound like you can almost see the island in a day. If all you want to see is the road, perhaps you can.
It's a beautiful place.
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM

You won't be able to do both Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair in the same day. The road from Cradle Mountain to Lake st Clair winds sharply though the mined area--that part of the road is very nerve wracking.

In terms of your itinerary, I'd cut back to two locations only, if your flights are already booked then first stop either Hobart and take in Port Arthur or Freycinet National Park (Swansea, Coles Bay, Bicheno). It's not a long drive from Hobart airport to Freycinet about 2-3 hours, so you could just head out when you arrive. Alternatively you could have an overnight in Hobart then one night in Freycinet.

Then drive to Cradle Mountain, I think that's about 3-4 hours from Swansea. 2 nights there, then drive to Launceston to get the plane.

In terms of amazing bushwalks at Cradle Mountain, my favourite all day walk is to the summit of Cradle Mountain. The final ascent to the top is about an hour scrambling up rocks, you follow the yellow markers. It's not nearly as hard as it looks, but you wouldn't attempt it if there's wind or rain. I'd have a minimum of 2 days there precisely in case of rain.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM

Nornny,
We did 7 nights in Tasmania last October, and hit those same 3 places. I agree with Susan, I think that with 4 nights, you should cut back to two locations.

You could spend 2 nights in Hobart and 2 nights somewhere else. On your one full-day in Hobart you could tour the Tasman Peninsula. We would have loved to do an adventure cruise, but given our limited time we decided to spend our day touring the historical sites, etc. (but, we had been to Alaska fairly recently and had seen lots of marine animals, coastlines etc.) We had 2 days in Hobart, and on the second day we drove the Huon Trail (went to Geeveston to see the big trees, visited the Grandvewe Cheesery and Hartzview Winery, etc.).

I'm not sure where you're from--that could make a difference in what other location you choose. For example, we're from California, so penguins are a novelty to us. Therefore, we really wanted to go to the Freycinet area to see the penguins in Bicheno. Wineglass Bay was a lovely hike--we were there on a cloudy day, so we didn't get to see the "picture postcard" view. There is a way to lengthen it by hiking across to Hazard Beach and then back to the beginning. Pretty views all along!

We absolutely loved Cradle Mountain--even though it pretty much rained/misted the whole time we were there (I think this is fairly typical--we were glad we'd brought our rain pants!). Beautiful hikes in the rain forest!! Lots of wildlife. I'm so glad we didn't miss it!! It would be fairly easy to drive down from there to Launceton to catch your plane home.

I think it all depends on what you'd like your focus to be.

Search this Thread