Great Ocean Road

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Ocean Road

Can anyone recommend a great 3-4 day tour of the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide? I'm looking at the Wayward bus tour but would like to hear from someone who has taken it. THanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Can't give an opinion about the tour but the Great Ocean Road is just spectacular and worth the trip. I looked at their website and the trip sounds great. You'll see a really interesting contrast in scenery. Wouldn't mind doing it myself actually.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM

As a local I haven't had need to use the Wayward bus but it is well regarded. I got some relatives to do Melbourne/Adelaide on it several years ago and they were very happy with it.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:05 AM

Hi,

I doubt you'll find a better trip.

I did it back in (jeez when was it?) - 1998!

I recommended it to friends who came to visit from the UK in 2003. They are picky travellers - they like their creature comforts and staying in upmarket hotels, so I was a bit anxious about encouraging them to do it. But they had a ball (as did I).

The WB itinerary takes you to places you'd need your own wheels to get to otherwise.

Lots of variety; and three days allows you to see places that folk who think they just need to drive the GOR in a hire car will miss altogether.

Now they also have accommodation upgrades I think. So if you don't like the idea of staying in a hostel you can stay elsewhere (as my friends did).

Recommended without hesitation.

Go for it. I'm sure you won't regret your choice.

Cheers.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the feedback. I spoke to someone at the Victoria tourism board and in addition to the Wayward Bus, they also recommended Adventure Tours because they go to the Grampians. Has anyone traveled with them before? Are the Grampians worth the time?
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM

You haven't mentioned what time of year you will be visiting but at most times of the year, the Grampians are well worth visiting. We go there a lot and usually see lots of kangeroos, koalas, emus and so many birds, plus the scenery is quite beautiful.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm looking at the first week in Feb.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Hello,

I am driving the GOR in July. I have 3 nights to book my own hotels. The rest of my trip is set. My travel agents recommends staying in Lorne or Apollo Bay then Mt Gambrier finally Victor Harbor or Cape Jervis where we will catch a ferry to Kangaroo Island. Does anyone recommed places to stay in those towns or others?