GOR and Grampians

Hi,

We are planning to see GOR and Grampians
like this:

o Day 1 - Drive from Mel along GOR
o Day 2 - Drive and See Grampians
o Day 3 - Drive to Melbourne via Ballarat

Given this plan, is it better to stay in
Apollo Bay or Port Campbell after the first day.

Thanks,
Senthil.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest staying the first night at Port Campbell, after doing the Great Ocean Road. Then you can drive up to the Grampians, and that night stay either near the grampians or a town en-route back to Melbourne.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM

senthilvel,
I'd say Port Campbell too. Apollo Bay is just a little further out of the way and it takes more time to get in and out of there. It's a wonderful place, but if you are on a limited timeframe, what you have chosen is just fine.
On Day 3- stop off at Sovereign Hill in the township of Ballarat for a couple of hours. (On the way back to Melbourne- IF you have time.) An 1850's Goldmining area "re-created", right in the centre of Ballarat. You can go on underground mine tours and gain an insight into colonial life at that time. The shops in Sovereign Hill are really good. If you love candy- you'll be in heaven!!
Ballarat itself is only just over 1 hour's drive to Melbourne and has some lovely "Goldrush era(1850's)" pubs that you can stay and dine in. I know most of the "good" ones quite well, so just ask if you want more info.

I'd personally recommend spending every minute you can in the Grampians. It's a fabulous area. SO many things to see and do. See the Grampians on Day 2 and stay overnight in Halls Gap if you can. Then spend a further morning in the area. You will easily get to Melbourne in only a couple of hours, so you can easily visit Ballarat on the way. And Sovereign Hill if you have more time. Like I said-I can definitely recommend a good pub or two for "in-transit drinks" when in Ballarat!!!
Make sure you see our Aussie version of the "Grand Canyon", plus the "Jaws of Death(The Balconies)" and the Pinnacle. It isn't all easy walking, though. There are some nerve-rattling climbs up steep metal ladders (that I've always trusted as being firmly affixed!),some scrambles over rock and a few dizzying outlooks- but it's wonderful country to explore.
Hall's Gap is a lovely place. Lots of koalas inhabit the trees on the main road. Take a torchlit walk at night and listen for their grunts. Scary!
Lake Bellfield is just down the road, too.
Try to access the Aboriginal sites in the area. Inquiring at the cultural centre (can't recall the name off-hand, but it is well known and easily researched, and shaped like a big moth!) will steer you in the direction of self-driven and 4WD tours.
Cheers,
Possum
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Mr.Possum. You reply is very detailed and useful.

Love this board.

--
..Senthil.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM

Hi Sentil,
I'm actually "Miss" Possum- but no matter!
Have a great time in Victoria. Just ask if you want any other info.
Possum (Miss!)
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM

Sentil,
Forgot to add this to my post. On the way back from the Grampians (between Stawell and Ballarat) is the Great Western Winery. They make very nice champagne and are probably the best-known producers in Australia. You can take a guided tour of the winery complex- including its fascinating underground cellars and tastings for a small charge. Well worth the visit. Great Western is a township on the main highway and the winery is only a minute or so away from the town centre on your right as you head towards Melbourne.
There are also lots of really good wineries between Stawell and Ballarat. Look out for the (generally) brown- coloured signposts indicating a tourist attraction.
Cheers,
Possum
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Oops. Sorry about that Ms. Possum.

Thanks for the info. I will check out the winery, though I have never tasted wine or any other similar beverages. It is just not in our (Indian) culture.

Thanks,
Senthil.