Car Rental - one way Great Ocean Road

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental - one way Great Ocean Road

We arrive into Melbourne on Oct 25 a Saturday from Cairns at 5:00pm. The plan was to spend 2 days in Melbourne and then head off down the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide. Prior to departure too Kangaroo Island we would drop off the rental in Adelaide on Nov 1. Would it be better to get a transfer into Melbourne (looking at the Stamford - any comments)and then pick up the car on Monday when we start off down the GOR. Apex who offers a better rate for one way drop off does not appear to be open when we arrive into Melbourne. The big rental companies (pickup and dropoff at the airport) charge a big drop off fee and don't offer all vehicles in their inventory. All this actually seems easy enough, but I have a disability and want to find the best,easiest and most economical way.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Unless your disability makes using public transport difficult, what you describe sounds like the ideal solution,i.e pick up the car to drive along the GOR. A car isn't needed around Melbourne, public transport is very good.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM

These folk might help
Standbycars [[email protected]]
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM

There is a very efficient and reasonable Shuttle that runs from the Airport into Melbourne and then another to the hotels if you decide to go by that means.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Are you flying or taking a tour bus and ferry to Kangaroo Island?
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Last October we picked up a Hertz rental car in Adelaide, drove it on the ferry to Kangaroo Island, toured K.I. for three days, back on the ferry and then to Melbourne on the Great Ocean Road, dropping it off at the airport. That is kind of the reverse of what you want. I believe Hertz is the only agency that allows one to take the car on the ferry.
Rentals on the island are expensive and have limited mileage, Hertz was unlimited mileage for the whole trip.
Compare pricing, for us it was less expensive and very convenient. You must book the ferry.
It is less mileage to avoid Adelaide on the way from Melbourne to K.I. Jean
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:12 AM

To compare car hire prices look at www.drivenow.com.au . I find it very good .
The Stamford is well situated in Little Collins St . I was at a conference there last year and thought the public areas a little tired and dated but price may be good .Other places like the Rendezvous Hotel in Flinders St. or those on Southbank might be worth considering because they are in the midst of a lot of hustle and bustle but of course the selection may depend on how well they cater for you particular disability .
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We have booked a flight for Kangaroo Island. Can anyone tell me if Appolo is Apex? I have emailed Apex and keep getting a reply from Appolo. Appolo wants a deposit that I'm not prepared to pay. Apex NZ doesn't ask for the deposit only Card info.
The Stamford (Melbourne) was/is offering a good price for an advance booking. Is it in a good location or should I look elsewhere?
What/who are standbycars what product do they offer, that might help?
Will have too start to look into the transfers into Melbourne. We will have quantity of luggage (even thought I'm going to try and limit what we bring)and my husband will be responsible for hauling all of it I'm afraid.
Really looking forward to our trip down the GOR any special places we shouldn't miss.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM

The Stamford location is good depending on what you want to do .It is near Collins Street if you want glamour high end shopping , is about half to one block - which are not long blocks - to good restaurants and theatres .About another 1.5 blocks downhill from it are some interesting precincts like Flinders Lane and also about 3 blocks away is Federation Square and the Modern Art Gallery which houses a wonderful collection of Aboriginal and Australian art .
I suggest that you look at www.thatsmelbourne.com.au to read a little about the city and what may appeal to you and look at a map to orient yourself before you decide .
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Hey TWOAUSSIES...

Where did you stay along the GOR. We are driving from Melbourne to Kangaroo Island over three days in July. I am looking for places to stay along the route.

Thank You!