Going to Oz for a week to celebrate and EAT!

Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Going to Oz for a week to celebrate and EAT!

Hi everyone...

So back down to Oz I go. This time only for a week to *hopefully* do a little celebrating with my boyfriend and a greencard. Not sure about the exact dates yet, but it will most likely be in April.

I've done lots of searches on restaurants to have a celebratory dinner. Tetsuyas is of course on top of the list. I won't ask if it's "worth it" because that's so subjective. I like to eat, and I like to eat at good restaurants once in a while. I thought Neil's review of Tetsuyas was kind of funny. Maybe the waitstaff is a bit stuffy there?

The other one that came up in my searches here is 41. So here's my question. What would your vote be for a young couple in their 30's who love great food, great presentation, non-stuffy and "hip" ambience? I think from what I saw of Tetsuyas it didn't look overly trendy (which is probably a good thing), but still nice and relaxed.

I'm just having a tough time deciding between the two, so I thought I'd put it out there for a vote, if anyone would like to help. Other great restaurant recs (any price range from cheap to not so cheap) are great too.

I am very much looking forward to heading down to Australia again. I am lucky this year...I'll get to go twice. Once in April, and hopefully for 4 weeks in July!
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Mina - I'm sure the Sydney locals will chip in with their usual excellent advice. In the meantime, you might want to take a look at http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/section/food_wine for some additional ideas.

Feb 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks John. I will do.

It may boil down to which one I can get a reservation with, I reckon. This whole greencard process has felt like it's gone on forever, so I think we will really want to celebrate.

Of course, I think whether we go out to a fancy dinner, or eat a meat pie and chug a beer somewhere, we will be equally joyous.
Feb 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Sometimes the meat pie & beer are more fun than the fancy restaurant
Feb 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM

crazymina, I did enjoy Tetsuya's as a once-only experience, but despite my wife's best efforts I'm a bit of a peasant at heart, so while I appreciated Tetsuya's culinary artistry I'm happiest in relaxed, cheerful eateries, especially a good traditional old Italian restaurant.

Note that you usually had to give several weeks' notice for a reservation at Tetsuya's - not sure if this is still the case.

When you arrive in Australia, pick up a copy of the Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide - you're bound to find several restaurants that meet your style, location and budget requirements.
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Sean's Panaroma at North Bondi (02 9365 4924) - fits all your requirements, and if you're there during the day, great views as well.

Both Tets and 41 have great, perhaps exquisite food, but they are rather stuffy and precious (and possibly pretentious!) (and I once had extremely poor service at 41).

Sean's also has the advantage of being a tad cheaper, and less formal.

In April - it's my birthday - see you there!
Feb 25th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Hi mina

I haven't been to 41 but loved Tetsuya's when I went there. If you'd like to read more reviews on Tetsuya's, have a look at the Australian board on www.egullet.org.
Feb 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I will check into your suggestions.

Margo, I checked out the website, and Sean's looks good. Maybe we will do a celebratory lunch instead. My time in Australia is so limited this time...it's a bummer!

And happy early birthday! ;o)
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM

You will get better food at Tetsuya ( and pay for it!)and you will get a great harbour view at 41 ( with a bathroom so lavish you could live in it!).Haven't been inside Sean's but there are rave reports on the food. It is quite small and you wouldn't go for the decor but I have only heard good reports.For a celebration I would personally go for Quay or Est but which ever one you pick will be fine. Have fun!
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter!

I mentioned it to another friend of mine in Sydney, and asked if his girlfriend and he would want to join. I wasn't sure they would, as Tetsuyas is so pricey, but he sent me an email back saying they would love to, and had already made a booking for 4.

So I guess Tetsuya's it is!

Margo, I have never been to Bondi, so I am going to see if I can get to Sean's for lunch.
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Australia's loss will be California's gain! I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for you and your sweetie, Mina!
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:04 AM

Heard rave (I mean rave rave rave)reviews from a couple who had dinner at Marque, Surry Hills. It was a degustation menu.

Did I mention they raved and raved?

And raved?
Mar 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM

And rightly so Tassietwister...its a great restaurant with lovely food. Its in Surry Hills so a little out of the city though not far.Modern French fare.