Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

FRASER ISLAND, HERVEY BAY, GOLD AND SUNSHINE COASTS - HOW COLD DOES IT GET IN WINTER?

Search

FRASER ISLAND, HERVEY BAY, GOLD AND SUNSHINE COASTS - HOW COLD DOES IT GET IN WINTER?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for those people who have asked about how cold it gets in winter for S.E Queensland including Fraser Island, Lady Elliot, Lady Musgrave Island and Heron Island - well forget what the water temperature is as this year is certainly NOT suntan weather as the following cut and paste will show, can we please have a bit of Global Warming here:

Gold, Sunshine Coasts freeze
Friday Jul 20 08:26 AEST
Queensland's tourist strips have woken to record sub-zero temperatures on another cold morning in the state's south-east.

The Bureau of Meteorology said temperatures fell below zero for the first time since records began at Coolangatta, on the Gold Coast, and at Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast.

While Coolangatta dipped just below zero, Maroochydore plunged to -1 degree celsius, a bureau spokesman said.

"It's so unusual getting temperatures near zero with the ocean being so close," he said.

Elsewhere in the south-east, temperatures did not quite reach the record lows of Thursday, when Brisbane Airport fell below zero for the first time since records began.

Brisbane's temperature fell to just under five degrees overnight, while the airport was again chilly at 1.8 degrees.

The Darling Downs, in the state's south-west, was again the coldest region, with Applethorpe recording -6.6 degrees, Warwick -6 degrees and Dalby -5.8 degrees.

The frosty morning temperatures were not confined to the south, however, with Rockhampton, in central Queensland, falling to 3.1 degrees, almost 10 degrees below the average.

The bureau predicts warmer temperatures on the weekend due to strengthening south-easterly winds.

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
DJE

LizzyF,

What kind of temps. do you think could be expected in this region and NSW from mid Sept. to mid Oct.?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Beautiful temps then - always is. Probably around the mid to upper 20s - celcius that is.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Much wiser to come further north in Queensland at this time of year where you don't get those cold minimums. Forecast tomorrow for Cairns is 16C-24C, dry and sunny winter weather.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:24 AM

Yikes, my wife and son just left for the Gold Coast to visit family. They didn't pack any warm stuff I'm pretty sure as it's usually so nice there at this time of year. Hopefully it will get back to normal soon, with highs in the upper 60's and 70's F.

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Don't worry Ralph, there is always Harbour Town ( Outlet Shopping Centre) where your wife can spend the first few days, or as long as your cc can stand it. Perhaps a few Designer Clothing shops at Marina Mirage too.
I too am hoping that the weather will improve as I will be there in about 10 days from Tasmania and I am not used to those low temps down here, Tassie being a maritime weather condition state .
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM

LizzyF - yes it was cold for a couple of weeks wasn't it. We never dropped below zero in Hervey Bay, but went close one morning.
Happy to report, we are back to around 13 degrees overnight, and a nice 21-22 degrees during the day, with bright sunshine. (I love those south easterlies now, they bring warmer night temperatures)
Yesterday, sat down for a coffee with my loved one (wife) at Enzo's Cafe on the Beach, wearing shorts & t-shirt.
When I speak to my sister in Sydney, she reminds me of how bloody cold it can really get in the southern states. I can never return!!!!
As for swimming, I had a swim today at Scarness beach, water temperature around 19 degrees I would say. Most people put their little toe in the water and think its cold, but they are used to the air temperature. I find when you stand in the water near the shore for a few minutes, the body acclimatises, and presto, in for a swim.
Strangely, the locals think I'm crazy, one lady told me that in a few years I will acclimatise to the weather, and never venture into the water during winter.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

And she is right Trop! Glad to know things are getting better as I want to go to Sea World when on the Gold Coast - amongst other things - and it is much nicer if the weather is warm.