Four days in Sydney

Feb 9th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Four days in Sydney

Hello,
My husband and I are in our 60s, mobile but not up for intense full day hikes. We will be in Sydney from March 4 -8, flying back to the US on the morning of March 9th.
We are foodies, we enjoy going to markets, sight seeing, a bit of walking and don't mind joining tour groups. My hubby is not big on art so museum is usually not a priority. We have a bit of fear of heights but we've agreed to try and climb part of the Sydney Harbor Bridge.
. Also, I've booked a hotel based on price but would welcome suggestions on areas to stay in. A friend suggested going to Blue Mountains and staying overnight. We welcome any suggestion on how to plan our itinerary for the four days (we arrive in the afternoon of March 4th.

Thanks in advance.
Jojo
Feb 9th, 2019, 09:00 PM

You might enjoy the walk along the sea from Bondi Beach to Coogee. We did that a few years ago and loved it. The walk is fairly flat but there are stairs here and there. At each beach along the way there are public toilets and water fountains to top up your water bottle and you can sit and rest along the way. Views are wonderful. We caught the bus from the city centre to Bondi Junction and the bus back again from Coogee (where we had fish and chips to end the day). I would check beforehand online to see which bus number you need for each direction. Trip Advisor has lots of reviews of the walk and there are other websites which describe each beach area.

The market at The Rocks is nice and there are lots of places there to eat as well. Regarding climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge, I don't know that you can do part of it. You would be with a group and I'm guessing you all stick together. Another idea is to walk across the bridge at the same level as the cars, there is a pedestrian section. So you don't climb UP over the bridge but walk over it and it's not with a group so you can do as much as you like.

A ferry ride from Circular Quay to Manly is nice and you can have coffee or lunch at Manly and a walk then head back when you've had enough.

I wouldn't plan anything particular on the first day, it will take a while once you land to actually reach your hotel and depending on the time, you can get something to eat and have a walk. What hotel have you booked? We stayed at the Meriton Kent St and the area was fine but in hindsight a bit closer to Circular Quay would have been better. Trains and buses in the city centre are pretty good if your feet get tired of walking.

Kay
Feb 9th, 2019, 10:07 PM

I'd second walking across the Harbour Bridge rather than climbing; tours often book up well in advance, the climb is quite expensive, you are linked in a group and wearing special suits that don't snag on anything or allow anything to drop onto the bridge or harbour below. If you walk across, you can catch the train or bus for the return trip.

You can easily fill your days just sight seeing in Sydney, but depending on where else in Australia you've been, then a trip to the Blue Mountains might be good. Rather than spend a night there, you can catch an early train to Katoomba then use the Blue Mountains Explorer bus to travel around. Take a look at their website for details.

A ferry ride across the harbour to either Manly or Watsons Bay would allow you to explore more of the area; good meals can be bought at either place.

You'll probably miss the weekend markets in the Rocks area, but there are great walking tours and interesting shopping there - go to the visitor centre for details. Or there are paid tours available - just google Sydney Rocks walking tours. Di
Feb 9th, 2019, 11:56 PM

Blast. Just lost my other post, so briefly - I posted the wrong info, you need to get the bus to Bondi Beach for the coastal walk. Not Bondi Junction.

Kay
Feb 10th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you KayF and di2315. This is very helpful. I have been coming to Melbourne (5x) and Sydney (2x) for work so I don't really get to see much. I have been to the Great Ocean Road but stayed mostly in CBD during my trips. This is the first time my husband is joining me for a holiday leg so we are both considered first timers.
He will join me in Melbourne and will explore the city by himself while I work for three days. Then friends of ours will take us to their beach house in the GOR for a weekend. We also get to spend another weekend in Tasmania (I've booked a food tour in Bruny Island). From Tasmania, we go to Sydney for the last leg of our trip.

I think we will take your and di2315's suggestion to walk the bridge rather than climb it. The views can't be all that different!

I wanted to make a decision about Blue Mountains because staying overnight there will affect our hotel reservation in Sydney. We are booked at Vibe Sydney but I just found a cheaper room at Travelodge. I figured we could use the savings on the hotel for a nice dinner instead.

Thanks for the tip on the Rocks. We plan to do that too!

I will keep checking the forum to see if you might have other ideas for us. Very much appreciated.

Best,
Jojo
Feb 10th, 2019, 08:30 PM

You only have four full days in Sydney so if it was me, I wouldn't have an overnight stay at the Blue Mountains. You could go for a day trip though, either a tour or by train. It is a nice area but there's a lot to see in Sydney. Last year when we visited the Blue Mountains the viewing points were jammed with people, you couldn't move.

Another place I loved in the city was the Queen Victoria Building (QVB). It's a beautiful, historic building, full of expensive shops on a couple of levels. We didn't buy much but enjoyed window shopping and had scones and tea at a nice cafe on an upper level which was good for people watching.

Which Travelodge are you looking at?

Kay
Feb 13th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kay,

The Travelodge on Wentworth Avenue. It costs 900+ for the five nights. Today is the last day to cancel for free and I am frantically looking at Airbnb for a more reasonable alternative.

Thanks,
Jojo
Feb 13th, 2019, 05:27 PM

Hi, this might be too late but have you checked on Booking.com? I don't know Sydney all that well, apart from our last stay there, but the Travelodge is close to the train and bus which is very handy and there is a supermarket or two within a short walk from memory. Lots of places to eat too, especially Asian. Did you look at Meriton or Adina, both are apartment hotels. I can't see that staying anywhere in central Sydney is going to be cheap, it's a very popular city.

Kay
Feb 14th, 2019, 01:40 AM

I've stayed several times in the Travelodge Phillip Street, Sydney. It is much closer to the city centre, harbour, and gardens than the one you've selected. It was perfectly comfortable and clean.
Might Travelodge allow you to move from one property to the other, rather than cancel if you're not happy with your original choice? Di