Search

New Zeland and Australia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zeland and Australia

Hi, need help planning trip to NZ and Australia in May for a couple of weeks. For NZ, thinking of Auckland and Rotorua but open to suggestions. Will not be driving and interested in seeing/experiencing something uniquely NZ, but avoiding places that might be too cold in May (less than 50 degrees F).

With respect to Australia, considering Sydney, Melbourne and Ayers Rock. Is it worth it to go to the outback? I want to feel like I'm Australia, not just another city in the world.

Thank you for your help!
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:57 PM

You have posted this question on the “Air Travel Forum” which is mainly for questions about airlines. You should either ask the moderators to move to move this to the “Australia and Pacific Forum” or just re-post your questions there. You’ll get a lot more responses.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Australia & Pacific Forum
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 09:38 PM

Average temps in Melbourne in May are just above what you want . There's lots of places to go to out of both Sydney and Melbourne eg Blue Mountains, Great Ocean Road .
What do you want to see ?

NZ - temps north island I think will be similar warmer than South Island .
Uluru (Ayers Rock ) - that's a great time to go there and it's worth seeing . Is that what you meant by the outback ?
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You say a couple of weeks. Is that for both countries? In that case I'd stick with just one country and save the other one for another time. If you pick Australia, distances are vast. You'd need to fly between all the places you mention. Each time you move hotels/cities you lose nearly a day. Even though the flight time may be short, it still all takes time.

Ayers Rock fits your criteria of being unique. If you want a city that is a bit different, I'd choose Sydney over Melbourne. It has the harbour, the bridge, the opera house, etc.

A suggestion is to write a list of your trip days, work out flight times, both to Australia and within the country and see how many days you have left to work with.

Kay