Early Planning for Australia and New Zealand 2012

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early Planning for Australia and New Zealand 2012

We are planning a trip for next year, our first to this area. We've been told that if we visit both, September/October is the best time. Do you agree?

Our plan is approximately three weeks, split fairly evenly between the two countries. We'd fliy within Australia, drive in New Zealand. Our main interests are wildlife, scenery and the people.

Can anyone give me some links to itineraries of similar length or trip reports?

I mainly frequent the Africa forum, since I've taken five safaris (my husband went on the last trhee). First time on this forum.

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I have several detailed trip reports posted here for numerous trips to the South Island of NZ, as well as South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia - just click on my name and scroll through trip reports.

I personally think that three weeks isn't nearly enough time for both islands of NZ and Australia. New Zealand is small, but long, and it can take a lot of time to get from Point A to Point B. Australia is roughly the size of the US...heck the state of Western Australia alone is bigger than Western Europe.

Sept/Oct can still be chilly on the SI of NZ and in Tasmania. It's the ideal time to visit Western Australia though - it's wildlflower season and absolutely gorgeous. It's also a good time to visit South Australia, but I'm not sure about the Eastern states, will have to let someone else help there.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM

I agree with Melnq8 that 3 weeks really isn't enough time to tour both Australia and NZ. If you feel that you must visit both countries, I would recommend that you plan on 2 weeks in Australia visiting just the East Coast or doing the "Sydney, Rock, Reef" tour. Then spend your remaining week on either the North or South Island of NZ as you won't have time for both.
Sept/Oct is a great time for the East Coast of Australia as well. It's a particularly good time for the GBR as the weather is warm; it's less windy than the winter months; and it's still before stinger season.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:46 AM

Sept./Oct. is a good time to visit and I would agree that your split should be 2 weeks in Australia and 1 week in NZ.
Fly into Cairns for the GBR then Uluru then Melbourne and hire a car for the Great Ocean Road. Finally a few days in Sydney. Or Cairns/Sydney/Uluru/Melbourne/NZ
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all three of you. These are really helpful comments.
We'll keep working.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all three of you. These are really helpful comments.
We'll keep working.