First Time to Australia - help!

Aug 1st, 2002, 10:53 AM
Julie Welch

First Time to Australia - help!

I'm planning a trip to Australia in mid-November for two weeks. Flying into Sydney and would like to visit at least one other city. Would like to mix a little culture, with a lot of beach/snorkeling, etc. Do you have any recommendations on moderately priced hotels in Sydney and recommendations on where I should spend the second portion of my vacation?
I purchased the Fodor's Guide, but there are just too many options!

Aug 1st, 2002, 01:18 PM
liz

There are heaps of replies if you do a search of Sydney hotels on this forum you will come up with just about everything you ever wanted to know.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Alan

Hi, Julie!
"Moderately=priced" means different things to different people, and I wouldn't like to advise until you gave me a price range. If you did as Liz suggested and searched this forum, you would have come up with a hotel named "The Russell". Check out its web site and see if you consider it moderately priced, If so, look no further... it's a great little place. If that's too expensive for you, check the website for "The Grand" in Hunter Street.... I know it had single rooms for around $90 a night recently. If neither of these is what you're looking for, write again and tell us how much you want to pay and what kind of accommodation you want.
For a second city in November: how about sunny Brisbane, from where you can, if you wish, head north towards the tropics?

Aug 13th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Julie Welch

Alan, thanks for your help. I'll look into the Russell Hotel. Was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Sydney?

Aug 13th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Prue

Julie, Once again if you do a search on this forum you will find lots of discussion about the Four Points Sheraton - mostly good.

Aug 13th, 2002, 10:50 PM
susan

Julie

You have to come to Perth!!! Beaches are great!! But if you dont want to fly over that far QLD (Surfers Paradise) I personally wouldnt stay in Brisbane and only travel in there to see the zoo. Surfers is heaps better, its about a half hour bus trip out of brisbane. Its the best place after Perth!! I spent two and a half weeks over there it was fabolous however, clubs close at 3am mostly over in Perth do not close till 7am, which is another bonus. Queensland also has a lot cuter men!! I am from Perth myself. PErth is great but if you like the crowd as in Sydney Perth is not as busy but will be more stylish than queensland Do not go to Melbourne Its always most probally be cold and wet and overcast!!! If you go to surfers I stayed at a really good place St Tropez on Orchid street, it was a great place close to everything and affordable!!

Aug 14th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Charles

If your choices are Sydney plus one other city...go with Cairns, Queensland. (Or QLD as above.)

It's totally different and has lots to do and see. Plus it will give you a full flavor of the Australian people.

Finally, you'll be at the Great Barrier Reef for outstanting water activities.