Great Sights in NZ

Aug 8th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Boris

Great Sights in NZ

What 3 places in New Zealand should I definitely see when I'm in New Zealand?

Aug 8th, 2002, 11:43 AM
John

The Banks Peninsula surrounding Christchurch. The Otago Peninsula in Dunedin. Take the train from Arthurs Pass to Christchurch and sit on the north side of the coach.

Aug 9th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Barbara

Don`t miss the Central Plateau of the North Island. Lake Taupo is spectacular and the tongariro National Park in easy reach of Taupo.
Hawkes Bay great weather, premium wine,
farmstays.
Milford Sound in Fiordland

Aug 12th, 2002, 06:33 PM
james

Rotorua - volcanic, boiling mud etc
Ninety mile beach
Bay of Islands

Aug 13th, 2002, 08:25 AM
BerryBerry

The mountains and glaciers on South Island and Queenstown. Nothing like it in the world...not even the Canadian Rockies.

You'll be amazed.

Also, take the train ride suggested earlier, but take it from Greymouth on the west coast to Christchurch on the east coast (or vice versa). The train takes you from sea to shining sea but passes snow laden mountains and glaciers along the way. The trip is only about 6-8 hours.

Here's the website http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/

Also, if you are into wine, visit the Canterbury area north of Christchurch and go all the way to the north end of South Island for the wines of Marlborough.

Aug 14th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Jenny

We went on the Tranzalpine train last November and loved it. Before our trip, someone from these messageboards mentioned the open carriage on this train and how spectacular it is to be out 'amongst it' with the wind in your hair. We took their advice.

Even in November it was cold, so be prepared and take a jacket, beanie, scarf and gloves. I guarantee that if you go to the open carriage as soon as they announce it is open and stand at the rail on the Northern side, you will be in the best part of the train.

Later on when the train starts to climb and the views become even more stunning, heaps of people come into the carriage, but by then you will have cemented your position.

We stayed there the whole trip. Take your camera, there is no window to impede the views.

We arrived at Arthurs Pass windblown and very happy and uplifted. I would do it again tomorrow if I could

PS, the open carriage going through the tunnels is another thrill. lol