Reload this Page >

Sydney and GBR suggestions needed - first time to Oz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Maria

My husband and I are thinking about going to Australia for our anniversary, around November of next year. It would be our first time there and we've got about 10 days vacation time including air travel time.<BR><BR>We're thinking about spending a few days in Sydney and the rest we're not sure -- should we do one resort island in the GBR, or one island plus stay a few days in Cairns or Port Douglas?<BR><BR>If we stay at a resort, we want a semi-luxurious place, but not too crowded/not too secluded, and we don't want to just lay on the beach all day (only part of the day!). We want to also do some activities, possibly snorkeling. What would be a better experience for us -- a resort or just staying in Cairns/PD and taking a reef excursion?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Maria

Anyone?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Alan

Come on, Liz, this is your line of country! <BR><BR>Maria, we have a real Barrier Reef expert on this forum, and she has given loads of good advice in the past, but I think she is taking a rest from the cut-and-thrust of the debate for a while. If you do a search under "Liz" you are bound to come up with past answers that will help you.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 09:38 PM
john

Good on you alan..you are really natures gentleman.<BR><BR>We do need Liz back around here.<BR><BR>ps I would love to know what you did for a living Alan...it is hard to believe an aussie has such impeccable manners...but then maybe you are from somewhere else more civil.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Alan

That's a nice compliment, John, and I can see that it will serve more than one purpose... if anything will get Liz back onto the forum, guns blazing, it is bound to be a suggestion that maybe Aussies aren't as civil as people from somewhere else. (Actually, I thought we were very civil... where did you have in mind?)

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Patti

Hi Maria<BR><BR>I am sitting here just truly envying you!! We loved Australia and Sydney is unbelieveably enjoyable. If I went back to the GBR I would probably go to Port Douglas and since I probably goofed in going to quieter Palm Cove. There are so many reef excursions you can take I believe I'd wait until I got to my hotel and chose one then. One of the most important things I would emphasize is: try to extend your trip to at least 10 -15 days in Australia. When you leave the states on Nov 1st you don't arrive until Nov 2 so you lose three days in travel. On the return trip you return on the same day.<BR><BR>I also hope that Liz will add her info cause she's very, very helpful. Most of us from the States can be very thankful we get such great travel help from people like Liz and Alan Jarman and Icuy. They tell us great things about their country so that we can appreciate it more.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:49 PM
liz

Phooie John, we Aussies are very civil ( except the Queensland - read Gold Coast- car drivers, but then they are mostly ex-Victorians and ex- Kiwis anyway) and its only when people tread on our toes that we get snarked. <BR>I am at an Internet Cafe in Paris writing this having a lovely time but missing the weather in OZ. <BR>Maria try to stay at Hayman Island in the Whitsundays. The Island is lovely or you can rent a Catamaran or boat for the time you are there and sail around the 80 or so islands an get off whenever you like. Take trips to the outer reef and either have leisure days or activity days. OR head for Port Douglas and stay at Lizard Island or one of the mainland resorts. Spend a few days in Sydney on arrival to Australia and make sure you stay around Circular Quay. Quay West Suites are particularly nice but the hotel that is best - but expensive - is the Park Hyatt. <BR>Anyways thems my ideas but for now I am off to bed to try and get over this jetlag before I hire a car and head down to the other "Gods Own" in the Perigord region...... eat your heart out Alan!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Debbie

WELCOME BACK, LIZ! Hope you're having a wonderful time in Paris <BR>-----<BR><BR>Hello Maria, <BR>I enjoyed Port Douglas much more than Cairns. It may be smaller but everything about it seems so much nicer. Where Port has a beach, Cairns has a harbor. Where Port has a cute mainstreet, Cairns has tons of backpacker hostels and typical touristy shops. Port is more accessible to the GBR and Daintree/Cape Trib, but Cairns is closer to the airport and Kuranda. I didn't find that reason enough to spend time in Cairns.<BR><BR>There are loads of posts about the GBR, do a search and you will find plenty of wonderful advice.<BR><BR>Happy Travels,<BR>Debbie

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:10 PM
margo

Maria<BR>It's a hell of a distance to travel for what will be effectively about a week's holiday.<BR><BR>I agree that Port Douglas is a much better place to stay than Cairns, reef access is easier, but give some consideration to Cape Tribulation, too. <BR>Cairns, though, is the place to find a squillion trips out, to places other than the Reef, although the Reef is so fabulous that I never want to leave. White water rafting is something that comes to mind. Green Island is easily accesible from Cairns, too.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:57 PM
oztravel

10 days is not enough especially if you're from the east coast. try to squeeze in at least four more days. Stay on an Island because the water off The N Queensland coast PD, Palm Cove is very rarely clear and there is no snorkeling even if it was clear. For mid priced semi luxurious try Hamilton Island or Dunk Island. Hamilton is way more developed though and is practically a city. Lizard, Hayman and Bedarra are ultra resorts and are very expensive. I loved Lizard but realize that few can afford the $500-$800/night accomodations. Don't stay in Cairns don't even consider it. Port Douglass is nice (stayed there too) but nothing to compares to an Island stay.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Adrienne

So wonderful to have Liz back!!!<BR>I would try to add more time. You will find 10 days to be way too short, especially since you lose a day going over. We loved Quay West--ask for a room with a harbor view. We also enjoyed Dunk Island. Lots of things to do and not too frenetic. Have fun!