first time in OZ solo sydney stay during may

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time in OZ solo sydney stay during may

it's my first time in OZ, i'm traveling solo and attending a conference at the convention center in darling island in sydney on the 7-10 may. i was thinking on arriving on the 1st or 2nd of may to adjust and enjoy the city and maybe stay @ a B&B or rent a serviced aprtment close by darling harbour? do you guys think 8 nights total in sydney and then maybe 4 in tasmania? or maybe around the 11 of may TAZ would be too cold? originally i was planning to go to NZs SI to walk queen charlotte's track in picton for new year's january 2009, but now as long as i'm traveling to OZ, i'm trying to juggle and would have to arrive mid april, and then go on to OZ for conference so NZ 2 weeks and on to OZ 8 days? thanks in advance for any suggestions... jjjj
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM

Darling Harbour is a bit of a tourist trap, why not stay somewhere within easy walking distance of the conference--Grace Hotel in the CBD often has good deals. You could also get a ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour which is a nice way to start the day.

Alternatively, you could explore another part of the city before the conference starts: Darlinghurst, Surry Hills, Paddington and Potts Point are the areas with plenty of restaurants, pubs and cafes.

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks susan... i love to walk around, so at first i was thinking of the covenience of being close to the conference, but i think you are right. i'm open to all the suggestions possible so i will explore the grace, i was just checking chelsea guesthouse in darlinghurst a while ago. i hate tourist traps. i like to get to "feel" a new city as close as a native as possible... thankx again
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:55 PM

You can also get the monorail from in the city centre to Darling Harbour .Look at wotif.com for hotel deals and a this time you can check out the large range on offer to see what appeals . I am not a Sydneysider and when I visit I really like Potts Point .Have a look at Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel .
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks john fitz... i'm looking at potts point and darlinghurst at the chelsea. thanks a lot! jj
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM

You could also look at an apartment at 17 Elizabeth Bay Road, Elizabeth Bay. www.seventeenapartments.citysearch.com.au

Easy access to the city (train, bus or walk) and lots of restaurants etc. Some of the apartments have very nice views of Rushcutters Bay park and the harbour.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks bokhara... as soon as i read your post i sent a form inquiring availability and dates. i'm also looking into darlinghurst and potts point... thanks lavici
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM

Let me know if 17 Elizabeth Bay Road don't get back to you & I'll give them a call for you.

They sometimes seem to have a problem with their website enquiries. Nice people & good location out of, but close enough to access the CBD.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

ok bokhara, how nice of you... if they haven't answered tomorrow i'll let you know. right now in caracas it's the middle of mardi gras...
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Mardi Gras is just starting here, too. There's a month of festivities leading up to the big parade etc., - first week of March, I think. Sydney's (gay) Mardi Gras is (I think) 30 years old this year, so has a bit to go to catch up to your Mardi Gras history & I imagine pretty tame in comparison
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

ours in venezuela is a kindergarten mardi gras compared to brazil's which really let's it all ( literally) hang out for 6 days of absolute partying and samba, drinking and all kinds of things mardi gras are known for... ja ja ja
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Hi,

Surry Hills, Potts Point or Darlinghurst are great areas to stay in Sydney - if you want to get a feel of how real Sydney-siders live.

All are easy walking distance of the city and have plenty of shops, cafes, bars etc.

If you are stuck in Darling Harbour, you could always walk to Pyrmont which is just down the road. It has a good, small village area with cafes and a few shops.

I would avoid Tasmania at that time of year, it will be freezing! Maybe if you have a few days up your sleeve, you can do a quick trip to the Great Barrier Reef. If you check out virgin blue airlines website (www.virginblue.com.au) at 1pm Sydney time, the airline has a happy hour offering cheaper flights.

If you want more information on what to do in Sydney or where to stay, check out a website called cityhobo.

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

thanks thanks thanks to all... i have checked out stuff in pyrmont some nice apts and elizabeth 17 too, i'll try to book at the chelsea at darlinghurst because it's costing me less than even the self catering apartments... for me solo. so markop, tasmania would be too cold by the end of april? i wanted to do the freycinet walk! but the last group leaves april 11th which is very early for my schedule in NZ... as i live in the caribbean the great reef sound wonderful but it's my own envoronment. what do you guys think about visiting melbourne instead? is there a nice neighborhood like the one's syou recommend in sydney? where should i stay?
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM

lavici , I am a Melbournian and it is a lovely city but quite different to Sydney .

Whereas Sydney is fast and international with the most stunning harbour , Melbourne is built in a grid pattern , very leafy and quite well preserved architecturally ( founded in the 1840's but largely built on the proceeds of a gold rush in the 1870's to 90's ) with lots of small lanes full of shops cafes and bars etc .

It is unlike anything you may be used to at home .It has four distinct seasons and sometimes in one day - lol . We are a bit fashion obsessed and I believe are responsible for the purchase of 70% of all black clothing sold in Australia .Some visitors say it reminds them of some European cities or at least aspects of it do . We have a diverse ethnic mix - Italian , Irish / Anglo / Asian / Greek / Middle European - all of which has enriched the city culturally and gastronomically .

As a place to visit it is a good contrast to Sydney . Neither city can be compared to the other and nor for that matter in my view can any other Australian cities as they are all interesting and worth a visit .

In May it will be getting cold .Chilly , jumper , jacket weather . Check out wwww.weatherzone.com.au which has accurate statistics both current and historical about Australian weather . It is impossible to say if it will be wet as the weather in Australia has been very erratic of late with torrential rain most of summer in Sydney and large parts of NSW and QLD whilst Melbourne has had an extraordinairy run of hot to mild temperatures and little rain .

Melbourne is a well preserved Victoriam city and as a result it has many precincts both in the downtown ( CBD )such as Flinders Lane , Bourke St Hill and Southbank or within 2 to 5 kilometres of the CBD are Carlton , Fitzroy , South Yarra , Richmond , St.Kilda , South Melbourne .The latter are full of interesting shops , cafes etc.

Melbourne is known for its great food at all price levels , bars , fashion / shopping , galleries ,museums , theatre , sports , parks and within 1 to 2 hours drive beautiful country , beaches and wineries etc.

Look at www.thatsmelbourne.com.au which will give you a very good overview. It will have links to other things to see and do out of town .

If you let us know what you might want to do and spend on a hotel we can help you more accurately .The equivalent type of areas to Darlinghurst / Potts Point are I guess , Sth Yarra ( groovy ,high end to normal inexpensive places as well ), St Kilda ( on the bay with lots happening all the time and lots of backpackers ) and Fitzroy ( a little more alternative and edgy ).

So , have a look and ask if you want to know anything .I am sure others will have somehting to say
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM

John has just given you the best description of Melbourne.

If you do come in Melbourne, the football season will be on and that is an experience in itself. Every weekend, tens of thousands of people dress up in their football team colours and go to watch a match. I personally find football boring, but I do like the colour that comes with it.

John forgot to include Carlton - and Lygon St in his great description of Melbourne. It is the Italian heart of the city.

You can do great day trips from Melbourne - the Yarra Valley wine region is beautiful, as is the area around Daylesford - which is known as spa country.

But, given you are from the Caribbean, it will be cold. And that in itself might be an interesting experience.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

my god john and markop your 'melbournian' descriptions are fantastic... a whole guide in itself!!! i'm so impressed
yes, you guessed right, being from caracas which is a valley 1000mts. high in the north part of south america gives me a tropical seasonless climate of just dry and monsoon weather, so anything more than a t-shit and a sweater( is that a jumper?) is a great change! i love cool weather and autumn is my ultra favorite season but i've never experienced autumn down under. just by the description i want to be there right now..
i have to confess that i do need help. evrytime i read something more or new about OZ, NZ and or TAS i want to do it... and i'm a libra so imagine... i could be sitting here weighing my options 'till kingdom come!
i have a fixed date: conference 7-10th may in sydney, and i want to walk the queen charlotte's track on the 22nd of april, so i was planning to fly thru USA to NZ, arriving in auckland taking the overlander train down to do my track and stay around nelson/marlborough area then wellington, fly out to melbourne (before or after) the conference in sydney. mel tells me i don't have to go on a guided tramp on QCT on a determined date, that i could arrange for everything on my own, which would cut costs and give me further flexibility but i have to take into account that i'm traveling solo, i don't know if it would be preferable or nicer to go on a 8 person guided walk.

AND... melnq & others has whetted my appetite for TASmania, and i found a gorgeous also guided walk that leaves on april 11th:
http://www.freycinet.com.au/walks.html.
i do have certain flexibility with my dates, i like staying in small hotels, B&B's, self catering places, and south yarra, st. kilda and fitzroy sound just like me. i do love food, but i like trying small places where the locals go. but i don't know which should be first pricewise, weatherwise and convenience wise... should i go to melbourne, hobart, nz and then sydney? the 2 determining factors are: TAS walk on the 11 th of april, QCTwalk on the 22nd of april and sydney conference 7-10th of may so i would be staying at least a month down under. hamlet and me? should i forget about tas?
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

markop i forgot that you mentioned football is it the same sport they call soccer in the us? our football? ( fútbol in spanish... brazil, mexico etc)
wow! ok yes i would love day trips to yarra and daylesford... would you say 4 days in melbourne would at least give me a taste of the city? i love to walk around and drink in a city's scenes rather than going to touristy places. where could i look up the day trips and such? i was looking at the prince hotel in st. kildas but it's totallybookes for the 1st week of may is that because of the football? thankx again...jjj
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM

The Prince is groovy , chic and small so that equals busy !Try and get in on a cancellation .Circa ( the dining room at the hotel ) is excellent.Good choice .For cheaper see Tolarno acrosss the road .It is Australian Rules football and nothing like soccer .Go and see if you come .It is fun and there is nothing like it elsewhere save Ireland which has something similar
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks john fitz... when you say try and get in thru a cancellation is ti thru wotif.com or last minute deals? i will check the solarno, and if you can recommend any similar holtels around the areas you suggested you will make my venezuelan day janine
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM

lavici,if you stay in Sydney I think the suggestion of the Grace is a good one for the city but for a more interesting experience you might like to look at the Hughenden in Paddington/Woollahra,near Centennial Park and within easy reach of the city.
Bokhara, if you see this, can you email me as I have lost your address ? ( sorry lavici! ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information