Search

Early Dec too wet for GBR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early Dec too wet for GBR?

Hi- We are trying to figure out if spending 3-4 days in the first week of Dec 04 in Cairns/GBR area would just be too wet. We'd like to do at least one snorkling tour and maybe something else (day trip to the lava tubes?) When it rains there, is this an all day thing or just short, intense burst of rain?

We are also planning to visit Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania, in 17 nights total.

So is it worth it or should we just extend our time in are other locals?

Thanks

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:01 PM

hi sfanza - early December should be OK - AVG no of rainy days is December is 11.6 in Cairns/Port Douglas area but much more likely to be in late December. Recent wet seasons haven't started until February. It usually rains in short, heavy bursts with brilliant sunshine in between and sometimes only rains at night. For more weather info in area check www.DivetheReef.com
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank Pat. Sounds like it wouldn't be too bad, you always gamble with weather though. It's just I was having flashbacks of when we went to Aitutaki last year to snorkel and it started to rain the second we got off the plane and then for then next 2 days (non stop torrential downpour). Luckily we were spending 4 days there and got to do 2 lagoon cruises on the last days. And it wasn't even rainy season!

Denise
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Hey there,
Interesting that you are worried about the rain.... whilst floating in water ?
He he he
For whatever reason this concerns you, pat is correct - rain in the wet is short sharp and torrential punctuated by glorious sunshine and most importantly NO WIND to howl accross the water and spoil it all like it does all winter
Go in December and be merry. Im gearing up all my underwater cameras now in anticipation.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 11:58 PM

Thanks fishyboy - I've always preferred reef in wet season, or at least from October, when those wretched SE winds finally stop. And this year they seem to have been more on than off since May.

sfanza, I know everything you read tells you to come to FNQ in dry season (our winter)- but winds often are blowing 25-30knots which makes reef conditions unpleasant for snorkelling, and choppy conditions would probably make you seasick. I think this advice is based on the lower humidity of winter months but who cares about humidity when you're in the water. Excluding the slight chance of a cyclone, visibility on reef in summer months is so much better, which is why fishyboy is polishing up his underwater cameras in anticipation.