Search

Barrier Reef in December

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barrier Reef in December

We'd like to visit the Barrier Reef area early in December. Will the wet season have started, and if so, how wet is wet?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hi there
if you are lucky, you can have days or weeks with beautiful weather, if not, it might be raining cats and dogs - that's just the way it is during that time.
But no matter what the weather is, the GBR is always well worth a trip, even during rain. The most important issue for a reef cruise is the wind and this is usually not a problem in December. The water is very warm out there, up to around 30C.
Please be aware that December is stinger season. This doesn't usually effect the outer reef, however you should be aware of that.
I have lived in Port Douglas for years and my favorite time for the reef was always the wet season (Nov - June). It is calmer and warmer. You will have a great time.
Hope it will help!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:33 PM

if it helps, we were there in january a few years ago and people were really trying to talk us out of going to the tropics that time of year. i'm glad we went anyways. the weather was warm and humid and we actually had very nice weather.

i would suggest not booking a cruise out to the reef ahead of time, but playing it by ear and talking to the travel advisors at the pier. they have water conditions daily and could tell you the best day to go out (like when the water is calmest).

so go and have a great time!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Couldn't agree more with myaustralia on this one. Wet season this year, if you could call it a wet season, didn't really start until March. December will be hot, and humid, but who cares when you're in the water.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - December it is then!