Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad during rainy season in Cairns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning 16 day trip from N.E. USA to Bora Bora with 7 to 10 days in Australia. Want to spend most time in Cairns/Townsville and along Reef. Will be doing so over Christmas/New Years due to time off. Is this a really bad time, weather-wise, to go? Or is it like "Hurricane Season" in Caribbean where it's perfect, except when it's not.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Probably ok except yes there is always a chance of a cyclone albeit a small one.

I was there a couple of summers ago and it wasn't even as humid as I had expected.

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM

I'm from Florida. I've been to Australia and Queensland 6 times since 1982. I've been to Far North Queensland in December or January 4 times. Twice I've spent the whole month of January there. Admittedly my experiences could be aberrations. But I've never had a really bad spell in FNQ during these times. Humid, yes. Hot, yes. Rainy sometimes, yes. Heavy downpours, yes, but oppressive WET that impeded everything, no. TAke your chances. It is a wonderful place. I highly recommend Far North Queensland at any time of the year.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 08:14 PM

I've spent the last 15 Christmases around Cairns and the above comments are true for nearly all of them.

Cyclone (hurricane in reverse) season tends to start after Dec/Jan lately, although no guarantees. This year was a particularly heavy wet season with monsoonal rain from mid-Feb - Cyclone Larry hit Innisfail on 22nd March and Monica came later in April.

But normal wet season rain (excluding cyclone activity) is a blessing, the rainforests need rain, the waterfalls are flowing and everything comes alive at this time. Rain often only falls at night, or in short bursts with brilliant sunshine in between, and its warm rain.

Also the best time for reef as SE trade winds are well and truly finished so underwater visibility at its best,no choppy seas which can cause seasickness for many.

Its also about the prettiest time of year when all the tropical trees are in full bloom and its the height of mango season!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Also meant to mention that Australia is suffering the worst drought in history, so far the tropics have been mercifully spared, so any excess water should be appreciated and even celebrated.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Very true, Pat. We feel so sorry for everyone who is suffering in the drought while we are very lucky to have enjoyed light rain throughout what is normally our driest season.

Now the far north is still looking wonderfully lush and green, not much humidity, the days are getting warmer and the nights are still pleasantly mild. Not as many visitors as during our busy winter season - so a great time to come and visit!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM

Go with Pat and Sunbird's advice. It is great! Just take off as many clothes as is socially acceptable in the situation and go for it. The rain isn't cold.
The mountains are cooler and so the humidity is less of a problem. The sea is warm and there are usually enough clouds to reduce burning but take care anyway as you can get sunburnt on a rainy day.
Fewer people and a different feel to the country at that time of year. Don't eat too many mangoes before getting used to them; limit yourself to four or five a day to start with!;-)
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM

Just arrived up north, leaving Igham for the tablelands. It is almost criminal that it is so green and lush here after driving throug dry and parched central QLD. Such a short distance apart yet such a huge difference in climate.

If only we could push some of the rain south. If only!!

Weather report for November, start of low season. Humid, not overly warm, Big clouds hugging mountain ranges, otherwise a bit hazy. Rained only at night so far. Not bad.

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM

you can always count on a river or 2 flooding the highway btween Cairns and Townsville. A good time can always be fornd at the Euramo Hotel at the so called Tully River crossing

cheers

Andrewdavid