Need help on December trip plans!!

Jul 4th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Need help on December trip plans!!

I am trying to get a straight answer on what the weather will really be like in late December at the Reef. My family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) will be flying into Melbourne where we have friends on December 21, on to Uluru for 2 days, then would like to spend 3-4 days on/around the Reef. Our last 3-4 days will be in Sydney.
I don't mind the humidity so much but want to avoid serious rains. How bad is it in Cairns area vs the Whitsundays? Or do we need to go as Southern as possible, say Heron?
Thanks- any input is highly appreciated.
Jul 4th, 2004, 12:31 PM
ALF

The Wet season starts up in mid- to late-December. I would expect afternoon showers almost every day. Humidity won't be too bad (70%), and expect temperatures to reach into the low 30s C by mid-day.

It might very well be a better choice to go further south. I would also go diving/snorkeling as early in the day as possible.

Jul 4th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Hi JeffG,
We decided last year that due to possible weather problems we wouldn't go much further North than Brisbane and spent Christmas day on Moreton Island where the weather was perfect.
So whilst I don't know what it will be like up North I can say that based on last years research,up to Brisbane area should be ok.

Good Luck

Muck
Jul 4th, 2004, 04:59 PM

JeffG Cairns/Port Douglas conditions in December are as follows:
Average daily temp: 23Cmin to 32C max
Avg. water temperature on GBR: 27C
Avg. no of rainy days: 11.6 (most rain falling in afternoon and evening)
Visibility on reef (snorkelling and diving) 15-30 metres and slight possibility of cyclone. I've lived in area for 12 years and the few cyclones I've experienced were in Feb-Apr. Sorry, have forgotten how to convert celsius to Fahrenheit.

December is summer in Australia and should be pretty hot all over Queensland.
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Pat, I have a neat spreadsheet that converts from celsius to fahrenheit and vice versa. If you mail me your address I'll send it to you (and anyone else interested).

I wouldn't worry about expressing temps in celsius though - it's good practice for our American posters in readiness for the inevitable US conversion Even if our metric measures were invented by those perfidious Frenchies.
Jul 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Neil, If you think conversion is coming here in our lifetimes, you are a cockeyed optimist. I fear the best we'll ever have is a few road signs with kms.

alas,
A/D
Jul 4th, 2004, 09:36 PM

A/D - wasn't "A Cockeyed Optimist" a Rodgers and Hammerstein song? How about "Everything's Up to Date in Kansas City"?
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:15 AM

Thanks Neil, I'd appreciate that as I'm often asked. Had a pool thermometer which did the job, but it's nowhere to be found. email is [email protected]
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. And, rumors to the contrary, we Yanks do have some rudimentary math skills including the ability to convert celsius to fahrenheit!
Any thoughts on the best Whitsunday Island to go to that's nice but not too touristy? How would that compare to Heron Island?
Jul 5th, 2004, 05:53 PM

JeffG - I never doubted it! We were on fahrenheit until the '70s, I think, so we more senior citizens can remember that 32 is freezing, 240 boiling and 100 a damn hot day, but I'm now a bit vague about the numbers in the middle. From memory, most people took the changeover to metrics in their stride, more or less. But we still tend to describe a tall person as "over 6 feet", not "over 183 cm".