Downtown Small Sydney Hotels

Dec 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Downtown Small Sydney Hotels

Thank you Mac for a good apartment suggestion. I now have 2. Does anyone know of any mid to upper small hotel accomadations close to the harbor and the main sights of Sydney?
Kappy
Dec 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM

In the upper range, the Observatory Hotel.
Dec 29th, 2007, 12:17 AM

The Russell - best situated hotel in Sydney and a nice little boutique hotel at that BUT does not have a lift.
Dec 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your hotel suggestions.
Kappy
Dec 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi all.

Any other great Downtown Sydney
suggestions for Hotels or Apartments. Please let me know.
So far all of the above have been great. I am especially interested in some Other Hotel Accomadations that compare to The Russell.
Thanks in Advance.

Kappy
Dec 31st, 2007, 12:27 PM

Check out the York Hotel. It's really apartments. We looked out onto the Sydney end of the bridge. It's also close to transportation. Loved it.
Dec 31st, 2007, 04:43 PM

If you would consider a B&B, I can highly recommend the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour Bridge. It's got a great location in The Rocks and the rooms and hosts are top-notch.
Dec 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for the great info which has also included the Trendwest Suites and the Meriton Apartments in another post. If anymore hotels, apartments, or B and B's come to mind do not hesitate to let me know . My trip is not until next fall so I am just comparing place for a 4-5 day stay in Sydney. Thanks again.

Kappy
Jan 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM

Simpsons of Potts Point http://www.simpsonspottspoint.com.au/ is a lovely small hotel, not actually in the CBD, but still a very convenient location.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

Kappy ,I agree with downunder. Whilst I know the owners of Simpsons and they are close friends that does not affect the fact that it is a Heritage building in a lovely part of town with excellent cafes / restaurants and a supermarket nearby.It is a lovely walk down Macleay St or from the Victoria St. stairs through Woolloomoloo and up to the Botanical gardens and along to the Art Gallery or Opera House precinct .It is quiet and the rooms a good size .Continental breakfast only and beautiful large common sitting rooms with internet access and port etc to help yourself to in the evenings.Last time I stayed there was a hellish taxi queue at the airport so we caught the train from the airport to Wynyard and changed trains to Kings Cross which was quick and easy and it is a few minutes walk to the hotel from the Victoria St. exit .
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:01 AM

check www.wotif.com for big hotel deals up to 28 days in advance. You may find higher quality levels at budget prices. You can also select the properties by city areas !!

I am just back from SYD (3rd trip there) and had a great time. Wotif.com works on a prepaid basis but some properties allow 48 hrs cancellation policy so you may be refunded 100% in case of cancellations before that deadline.

you will love SYD !!

Jan 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Check out the Lord Nelson Brewery for an historic place to stay on the quiet side of the Rocks. Not high end like the B&B described above, but convenient and great atmosphere. Our double room (5 nights) was $180/nt ensuite and the bathroom was larger than the room with a peek-a-boo view of the bridge. Walked everywhere and bus came right next door. Continental breakfast included. No lift but we got help taking our luggage upstairs.
Sally
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM

We stayed at the Observatory for our honeymoon. It was beautiful, comfortable and has a great breakfast. Also close to everything. It was quite high-end, but it was our honeymoon after all.
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM

The Russell Hotel is charming and quaint but.............very noisy.
If you are considering staying there, ask for a room at the back and away from the Fortune of War Hotel. They have done their best to soundproof the place but it is on busy George Street and in the Rocks area where people like to party all night.