Doubtful and Milford Sound Overnight Cruises

Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Doubtful and Milford Sound Overnight Cruises

Has anyone done back to back overnight cruises on both Sounds during their stay in the area. Other than the cost (swallow hard)is it the best way to experience them both - overnight. Looking at Nov 2008
Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM

We tried to set this up but concluded it is impossible due to the timing. I had emailed back and forth with Real Journeys...
Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Did you want to book one day after the other? I would be quite happy if we have a day in the middle to do something else. Real Journeys doesn't have the schedule for 2008 posted yet. I will make some further queries.
Thx
Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM

Yes, we tried to book one night after the other, but it was impossible. It should work fine with one night in between.

We had attempted to take the Milford Sound day cruise and the Doubtful Sound overnight leaving the following day. The Doubtful Sound cruise was canceled due to torrential rains (full refund, excellent customer service), so we were never able to see it.
Jul 24th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

How disappointing for you. I would never have thought that they would completly cancel a cruise.
Jul 24th, 2007, 06:59 AM

In January I did a Doubtful Sound day cruise and the next day went on a Milford Sound overnight. I stayed in Te Anau. I felt it worked out fine. The long day for the DS trip was balanced by being picked up the next day for MS at about noon, so I could sleep in a little bit.

I thought I got a good overview of DS on a day trip.

I did both with Real Journeys. I booked it only several days in advance because I was worried about the weather. As it turned out, both days were drizzly (and a bit more than that) but it just made the scenery more dramatic with waterfalls and mist etc.
Jul 24th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Calex--

I understand that the cancellation is not common; the rains they were experiencing when we were there washed out part of Milford Road and part of the road that leads to Doubtful Sound. The people who were on the overnight cruise that left the day before ours was to depart had to be helicoptered out!

I was disappointed, but at the same time, we had been so soaking wet due to rain the previous two days that we were somewhat relieved to head to Dunedin a day early and keep dry.

Bring rain pants to NZ-- hooded rain jackets were not enough (learn from our experience!)

Liz