Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

? for photogs...best time of day for Milford cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be driving from Te Anau to Milford in February and plan on making a full day out of the scenic drive to Milford and a day cruise on the sound. We'd like to avoid the buses as much as possible. We're willing to start the day at the crack of dawn and were wondering what time is best for photography. Should we book the cruise for early in the morning and take the time to explore the road on the way back to Te Anau or book a cruise later in the day and take pictures along the road to Milford early in the morning?
And, in general what is the best time of day to be on the cruise?
Photogs...what do you say????
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM

Te Anau to Milford Sound takes 2 hours driving + about 30 minutes to park the car and get to the boat terminal.

Coaches from Te Anau leave at 8am, and mostly catch the 11am cruise.Coaches from Queenstown leave at about 7am, and have a morning tea break at Te Anau at 10am. They go on the lunch time cruises.

The best time for photographs is in the morning, as the sun is in a better position. Also, on the way in the scenery is in front of you, and you are more likely to see the good shots; coming out it's receding behind, and you could miss something.

There are about 4-5 coaches go from Te Anau each day v's about 100 from Queenstown.

Puting all that together, you are better to leave Te Anau before 8am, do your sightseeing and photos on the way in, and catch the 11am cruise. Avoid the lunch time cruises like the plauge, They are jambed tight with Queenstown visitors. (hint; if you go on the early cruise, use the toilet on the boat before you disenbark. The toilet queue in the terminal often stretches out the door at lunch time)

If you have a mind to do any walks, do these on the way out. THe Key Summit walk is popular, and there are great photographic oportunities from the summit.

The later cruises (3pm onwards) are a good alternitive if you find you want to spend more time on the way in. You would probably not have to book for the later cruises, but the 11am & 12pm ones you will most certainly have to book.

If you are a keen photographer, and the weather is good, you could certainly spend 3-4- hours on the road in. What I do is have a look at the post cards available, and try to the locate the shooting position. These guys have had more time than I will have to find the best shots.

There is plenty of daylight. In February it gets light about 5am, and dark at about 9.30pm.At the moment it's light at 4.30am and dark just after 10pm.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow! vbca...thanks so much for the great info!! That's exactly what I wanted to know.
We will be driving our own rental car. In the last couple of days while thinking about this I was leaning towards leaving Te Anau very early in the morning and, as photography is my main passion and the highlight of my trips, I figured we should just take our time getting out there and take the 3:00 cruise.
I know to avoid the middle of the day cruises. So the 3:00 should be less packed with people?? And I was going to just go ahead and book it...you're saying we should just wait til we get there? And do you have a preference on one cruise company over the other? I don't think we'd be interested in the underwater observatory. Mitre Peak has a 2 hour cruise that departs at 4:30...how will the light be in the sound then? We're considering that or their 2:45. Red Boat has a 3:00 and with Real Journeys we'd only be interested in their Scenic 3:00.
We definitely want to do some of the walks along the road and figured we'd be out all day and get back to Te Anau by dark.
Any more helpful comments???
Appreciate you great comments so far
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM

Hi luv2globetrot,

I'm just trying to visualise the sun position in Milford in the late afternoon Decided to get some expert advice, so I asked my brother, who is the captain on one of the Red Boats. His advice is that the afternoon cruises are by far the best. In the morning there are very pronounced shadows, and a lot of contrast. As the sun gets higher it can penentrate the fiord more, and by 3pm most of the mountains are in full sunlight. (This of course assumes that there is some sun, on some, very few, days it actually rains in Milford Sound).

You should have no trouble getting a late cruise. Red Boats operate a 300 passenger vessel, and Real Journeys use a 400 passenger one. These are both at 3pm. Mitre Peak Cruises carry 60 - 70 passengers, and sometimes , but not often, it is full at 4.30pm.

I would sugest ariving in time for the 3pm cruise (about 2.40pm)and check availability on Mitre Peak Cruises if you want that one, or take the 3pm cruise. This would let you make up your own mind whether the light was going to improve for the later cruise.

You could spend a couple of hours 'on the ground' at Milford. The best view of Mitre Peak is from the foreshore in front of the hotel, and you can walk round to the Bowen Falls. Wear long trousers and long sleeves, and take plenty of insect relelent. The sandflys are vicious.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.
Cheers,
Barry
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM

Just reralised I didn't answer your query about the best company to go with.

I should say Red Boats are the best, but actually there is very little difference between any of the three operators. Red Boats and Real Journeys both operate large vessels, and if they are lightly loaded you may have more room to move around to get the best shots, but I don't think it will make much difference. Mitre Peak Cruises have a smaller vessel, and if the sound is a bit choppy it would probably move around more than the larger ones, otherwise I don't think there is much to choose between any of them
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi again vbca!
So after all your helpful info we've decided to go with your idea of getting to Milford in time for a 3:00 cruise and from there we'll decide if we should wait for the 4:30.
I've heard MUCH about the flies so we will go PREPARED!!
By the way, I just noticed your e-mail address is from Campbell Auto Lodge. We'll be spending 2 nights there (Feb 10-11) Do you own it or work there?? If so, we'll see you then
Thanks again for your help!
Lisa
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hi Lisa,

CURSES, I'VE BEEN FOUND OUT

Yes, Jenny and I run Campbell AutoLodge for my parents. It's a 24/7 job, and I don't know how much longer we can stand it, but at least until February 10th.

Look forward to meeting you in person.

Cheers.
Barry
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in with additional thanks. I know I wasn't the original poster but the info in this thread is incredibly helpful. I'm hoping to visit the South Island in March and like luv2globetrot, photography will be the priority on my trip. Barry, your recs for Milford Sound are very much appreciated.

Kim
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Thanx Kim,

Actually you can't go wrong in Fiordland, just point the camera anywhere and shoot and you will have a fantastic photo.

Cheers,
Barry.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Barry,
Thanks again for all the info...looking forward to meeting you and Jenny!!
See you on the 10th!
Lisa