Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Distance between ferry & airport in Wellington?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still undecided whether to take the flight or the ferry from Wellington to Picton. But we have to pick either the ferry terminal or the airport for the rental car drop off. So, if I pick the ferry terminal for drop off, but decide on the flight to Picton -- how far is it (and how much for a taxi) from the ferry terminal to the airport?

Thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
GBZ

You are best taking the Ferry from Wellington to Picton. I did not think Picton had an airport? It may be a strip of grass. Blenhiem has an Airport which is about 30kms from Picton. People usually fly from Wellington to Christchurch.
Cheers, Dougie
www.newzealandatoz.com
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

There is www.soundsair.com. It would be a scenic 25 minute flight. They leave from the Wellington airport, fly across to Picton, and shuttle you from where you land into Picton. It is actually almost the same price as the ferry. I am considering the flight because the crossing would take less time and would be a nice aerial view (my husband is a pilot).
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hi HorizonBound,
I would have thought if you were planning to fly to Picton from Wellington you would leave the rental car at the airport terminal. However, if you do decide on the ferry terminal as your drop-off point then it should not cost more than $35 for a taxi from there to the airport. That is the average fare at this point in time. As to how far it is to the airport - I actually haven't measured in kms but it takes about 15 - 30 minutes, depending on the traffic.
I am unsure when you are in New Zealand.
The air-strip for Picton is not far out of the township, and is quite a picturesque drive in.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to have the option of know the distance and cost in case a) one drop off place was cheaper than the other, or b) so that we could decide later whether to fly or take the ferry.

Thanks for the info
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Hi again,
Sensible idea, having both options open. Weather can sometimes play a part in travel plans around Wellington!
Are you planning to spend any time in Wellington?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we don't know how much time yet. Itinerary is very open -- frustrating part is having to make a concrete decision for a date to drop off car in Wellington, and pick up new car in Picton. Seems to be cheaper than taking the car on the ferry. Plus, even if you DO want to take the car on the ferry, you have to make a reservation for that... Either way, you have to commit to a date to go from the N to the S island... ;-)
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

OK - made a corporate decision Drop off car @ airport and take scenic flight w/soundsair.com across to Picton

If you have advance notice and book online w/them, the flight is about the same price as the ferry. I am sure the ferry crossing is beautiful -- but so will the flight be....we almost had to toss a coin to decide!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:43 PM

the ferry ride was soooo beautiful. they do ferries right, there.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Hello, I am going to take my van on the ferry crossing. Just curious if there is an "ideal" time of day to make the crossing and see the views? FYI, I'll be going Wellington to Picton in mid January then returning sometime in April. Thanks!!!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:01 PM

The ideal time is probably whenever the Kaitaki isn't running, which has lousy human factors for deckside viewing (and stairways, bathrooms, etc etc). This is the big, newly added, old tub which I think is synchronized with the train to CHC and those crowds (9ish depart WLG, 13ish depart P?).

Each trip includes an hour close to shore on either end and an hour between the islands but still within sight (I'm sure I could see the crater highlands east of Christchurch, and a distant towering snowcap I wonder whether was Cook).

It's a curious thing that Picton is actually a bit north of Wellington, but your open sea journey goes pretty much straight into the roaring 40's westerly gale departing from WLG. So the sorry excuse for deck space on the top of Kaitaki was closed for windy periods and they could't be bothered to reopen it during the wildly scenic finish of our cruise thru the protected sounds and islands approaching Picton. Not that there was an official announcement, but you would run up and down the painfully inadaquate and cramped stairways to check.

I would lean towards a 10ish departure so as to never face staring into the sun, but maybe not too impt. Maybe the Kaitaki would be ok for the return with the wind, but I much prefer the smaller ship(s).
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:58 PM

We flew from Picton to Wellington on Soundsair. Took about 25 minutes. A bit bumpy but scenic.
John