Dar-es-Salaam to Zanzibar: Flight or Ferry?

Dec 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Dar-es-Salaam to Zanzibar: Flight or Ferry?

Hi everyone,

So I've been reading conflicting opinions on this and other forums regarding the best way to go from Dar-es-Salaam to Zanzibar. Some people prefer to fly, as it's quicker. Others prefer to take the ferry, as you don't have the hassle of going to the airport etc.

What do you think? Please help - we're flying to Tanzania in 2 weeks and we need to make a decision on what we will do!

Thanks,

IWTN
Dec 20th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Well, I haven't done this, but that's never stopped me from offering my opinion before.

If cost isn't an issue, I'd fly. The flight (which I've taken in reverse) is about 15 minutes max. I get seasick easily, so I wouldn't want to take the ferry. The airport is very close to Stone Town, but I'm not sure about the Dar airport location (was only on the inside).

Whichever option you choose, please do have a great holiday.
Dec 21st, 2005, 08:15 AM

My Dad lives just outside Dar and he takes the ferry all the time. He says that land travel to and from the airport can be horrible, so I'm not sure if one choice is better than the other (unless you suffer from seasickness).

There are 2 - the 2 hour ferry which takes 4 hours and the 1 hour ferry which takes 2 hours.

We will also be there in 2 weeks and I can't wait!
Dec 23rd, 2005, 06:48 AM

I just got back from there, and went the reverse -- Zanzibar to Dar. We flew. It was an easy, short flight. I heard conflicting reports on how long the ferry takes -- anywhere from a little over an hour to three. I thought that sounded a little long for me as I can get seasick also. Plus I heard people say it wasn't that safe (pickpockets), although that worried me less.
Dec 24th, 2005, 03:24 AM

The ferry is fine - and it's used by local people so you will be stepping out of that tourist cocoon for a short time. So much more fun - and sometimes you see dolphins on the way over.

I'd ferry there - and fly back perhaps. But then I have a soft spot for boats and take advantage of any opportunity to arrive somewhere for the first time by water - not so many opportunities left! After all, an airport is an airport is an airport - boring!!! - whereas a ferry is an adventure, and this one does land you on Stone Town's doorstep.

Have a fabulous time.

Search this Thread