Dining in Hokitika & Blenheim, where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave Tuesday for three weeks in the South Island of NZ. Two of the places we are staying have an optional dinner; but, we need to let them know ahead of time.
Does anyone know anything about Kapitea Ridge in Hokitika or the Bell Tower in Blenheim? Are there good options for dinner in Hokitika and Blenheim?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
For such a small town, Hoki has a surprising number of restaurants - Cafe de Paris is a popular choice. This site lists some popular Hoki restaurants and their reviews:

www.dineout.co.nz/allresults.php?city=Hokitika

Blenheim has some good choices too, including a couple of Indian restaurants we've tried and liked.

Here's a listing for Blenheim:

http://www.dineout.co.nz/allresults....&submit=Go

Not sure how any of these would compare to the meals at your accommodation, but maybe you can get an ideal by looking at these sites.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM

My friends who studied abroad in NZ highly recommended the Cafe de Paris in Hokitika... Unfortunately our driving route didn't allow us to eat there during mealtime.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM

I have a fond memory of sitting at an outdoor table drinking a flat white and reading the newspaper at Cafe de Paris so stop there even if you don't eat. Also, take a picture with their neat little vehicle parked in front that has the Eiffel Tower painted on it. In Blenheim, we had lunch at the Allen Scott Winery in a lovely setting and it even has a gigantic chess board in the back to keep you occupied while you are waiting for your entree. Have a great trip! Steven
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM

Hi, Pawleys,
Hope your time in NZ is just awesome. I have just been over your previous postings to check where you were going but not sure what your final itinerary is.
Shame you are not going to Napier now - I will be up there next weekend, and would love to have shown you some of the great sights. Maybe on your next trip you will include Hawke's Bay and Wellington......
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,all. No, we're not going to Napier this trip. I really tried to narrow the scope and thoroughly see the South Island. Alas, there are so many wonderful spots we're still unable to fit in. This forum has been so helpful and positive. What a great resource.
Dotty, maybe next time we'll see you on a trip to the North Island.