Daughter will turn 21 on Fiji-help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter will be returning from study abroad program in Australia via Fiji in August. She loves to snorkel and enjoys the beach. She flies into Nadi...any suggestions on nice/safe resort on the beach that would be great for her week stay?
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Just an idea, but a travel agent recommended Bounty Island Resort as a great place to go. Recently refurbished and VERY good prices by Fijian standards if you are staying on an island.

http://www.fiji-bounty.com/

I mentioned this place to one of my co workers and now she is sending her three kids there as Graduation and Matriculation congratulatory gifts.

I hasten to add I have not stayed there though I have stayed on a nearby Island a couple of times. The location is great the sea is full of fish and the people are very friendly.

Stay on an island though. The mainland is nowhere near as attractive and not really that welcoming at all, unless you are spending severe $$ and staying somewhere like the Sheraton Denerau.

If you do not mind spending a bit more then I would recommend Navini.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

As mentioned we have stayed there twice. Hoping to get back later this year as well. Very quiet, very friendly, very relaxed.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Steve,
Many thanks for the wonderful information. Have you any ideas about the Beach Side Resort?

Best,
Elisabeth
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Hi Elisabeth,

I just checked out the website of the Beachside resort to confim the location. It is not far from Nadi town and also very close to the airport. That part of the mainland is very limited beach wise. Infact it is more like a mudflat at low tide. That is why the hotels for that area focus on great pictures of their pools and less so on the beach shots.

I am sure it would be fine for staying for a night if a transfer to somewhere else was held up.

To be honest we do not like staying around Nadi, it is an average looking town to say the least with few if any redeeming features. It is there in the main to service the local resort industry and the airport.

Also when you can get into the sea to swim the water is not that clear and snorkling is very limited. As I mentioned it is probably better to head out onto an island. If you are keen to have your daughter stay on the mainland there are much better beaches along the south coast of the main island Viti Levu (The one with Nadi on it) this coast is called the coral coast. It has good stretches of white sand beaches.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Why not take a Turtle Airways flight or the Yasawa Flyer boat up to Oarsmans Bay Lodge on Nacula Island in the Yasawas? Check out www.fijibudget.com The beach and the snorkelling is absolutely magic. The Yasawas are thre best for beaches and snorkelling. You could also take a cruise on Captain Cook or Blue Lagoon Cruises if you have lots of money.

Nadi (and surrounds) is not nice. The Shangri-La near Sigatoka has a lovely beach. It is one hour from Nadi on the Suva road. Have fun!