clothes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clothes?

In the summer months...
Do people wear jeans in Australia? If so, are they blue jeans or black denim or white denim?

How about canvas shoes? (tennis shoes) White one?
Black ones? Some other colour?

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Snazzy - we Australians are a laid back type of person. We tend to dress for the climate, with casual dress.
You can where what you like. Some people do wear jeans in our summer, but not if its a hot day, better to wear shorts, like the cargo type, and SANDALS are popular, more cooling for your feet, than wearing tennis shoes.
Personally, I like wearing cotton shirts, hanging out over my shorts, and beach sandals. I'm not a fashion icon, and I am happy when the clothing is cool & comfortable.
At night time, its quite okay to wear casaul slacks & open neck shirt for men, when going out to a restaurant. We call this "smart casual".
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tropo.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:07 PM

Shoes....???? In summer???

Surely you jest!!!

Whaddya think thongs and/or sandals were invented for?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:11 PM

Likewise jeans - I wore jeans out last Saturday night and regretted it - shorts would have been so much more sensible - but don't look too great of a lady of my accumulated years (and rear!) But, in very humid at present Sydney, pffffttt!

What you wear depends on the weather and your comfort levels. This isn't the European board, you know!

PS - thongs in Oz - are footwear, simple with a rubber toe divider, not what you were thinking....
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
After reading up on all the poisonous snakes and spiders, I'm not sure I want to chance thongs (flip flops) or sandals.

Guess we'll just wait and buy some when we get there.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:31 PM

Snazzy, I would wear closed running shoes / tennis shoes or something of that sort if I was hiking in the Australian bush or forests (what Aussies call bush walking).

Also, I would wear gardening gloves if I was gardening in Australia.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear sandals on city streets. I would even be comfortable wearing sandals in a place like the Royal Botanic Gardens, where there are walking paths, the lawns are mowed, etc.

Speaking for myself, flip flop sandals are okay for short walks (from my room to the swimming pool or something like that). But if I walk around in sandals all day, e.g., sight seeing in the downtown core of a city, I prefer a more supportive sandal.

If you want some light entertainment, you can read about Amanda_Chicago's fear of Australia's creepy crawlies in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34467764

If you click on her name, you'll find Amanda's trip report about the great honeymoon she eventually had in Australia. She really did her research, came up with a tremendous itinerary, and lived to tell the tale.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks.
I'm skiddish because I was stung between my toes by something in Mexico once. Flung my foot and the critter was shaken off. Turned out it was a centipede, nothing serious but my toes on each side of the bite were swollen for several days.
A friend was stung by jellyfish in shallow water on that trip.
I printed out the info on the link you provided to read later.
Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:29 PM

Snazzy, unless you go hiking in the bush or rainforest you're pretty right with sandals. I wear them about 11 months of the year - the only thing that has ever given me a serious bite was a bull ant and that was on finger, in bush around Sydney's northern beaches. Awfully painful, arm swelled up like a balloon for about a week.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pat.
I think I've got things pretty much figured out.